Heather's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Feb 13, 2012

Recommended to Heather by: David Ulin
Read 2 times. Last read February 12, 2012 to February 18, 2012.

Yeah, I read this in high school. Did I remember it? Not really. Shocking, of course, given how raw and vivid and humid the writing is.

The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time is what inspired me to reread the book, and I was struck this time by how adult the themes and thoughts are. I think it seemed flat and bitter to my 15-year-old self, part of one of those "I'll never" dialogues you have with yourself.

I find it fascinating just how convoluted and viscerally real the critical scene in the book is. I had to think hard and reread repeatedly and still could not give offer a coherent summary of the situation, and that is why I find it so incredibly real -- the way secrets and lies and half-truths are known or unknown (or unconsciously guessed) by the various participants, who each then have different comprehension about the impact and consequences of what occurred... it's masterful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Meaghan I just re-read it this summer and liked it much more than I did in school. I'll be interested in your reactions!