laurel [suspected bibliophile]'s Reviews > One Trick Pony

One Trick Pony by Nathan Hale

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novel, middle-grade, poc-mc, sci-fi, dystopian

Strata and her friends find a robot horse while scavenging in post-alien invasion Earth, and accidentally launch a planet-wide hunt for them, their new friend, and their entire moving village.

I've been looking for this book for a solid three years, probably. Ever since I heard about it, read the blurb and was like, horses and aliens??

This rating doesn't mean I was disappointed. It's entertaining and imaginative, even if the only person with personality is Inby, who is a secondary character (and, while one dimensional, at least has one dimension to his personality).

I liked the concept of the aliens, who were seriously creepy. I liked the world itself, and I loved the color scheme and illustrations.

My issues were from the ending bits. No. Not that part about the ending. That part makes sense. It is a one trick pony, after all. But this one. (view spoiler)

Overall, it was a short read and kept me engaged throughout the end, but suffered from continuity problems and one-dimensional characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Trick Pony.

Finished Reading