Noa ☾'s Reviews > Carry On

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: friendships, lgbtquia, kindle, read-in-2019, young-adult, iconic-characters, favorites, reviewed
Recommended to Noa ☾ by: Holly ✨
Recommended for: anyone with a soul ?

And when I felt myself slipping too far, I held on to the one thing I’m always sure of— Blue eyes. Bronze curls. The fact that Simon Snow is the most powerful magician alive. That nothing can hurt him, not even me. That Simon Snow is alive. And I’m hopelessly in love with him.

Carry On was such a nice read with an amazing and unique cast of characters. To be completely honest, I haven’t been this excited about a book since I read Six of Crows so you can probably imagine this has made it into one of my favorite books of all time.

I love the commentary on the chosen one trope and the take on this “academy”. Obviously, this is very much like Harry Potter BUT IT’S ACTUALLY VERY NOT. Fine, this would be like Harry Potter if they all couldn’t stop swearing and if Draco and Harry were hopelessly in love.

I’ll just go over the characters because you should know by now that I mostly never care about plot and I can’t be bothered to pretend.

✨So. The cast of characters y’all !!!! ✨I would mostly recommend Carry On for the characters✨ Absolute ✨ Babes ✨ (okay, the writing and the plot are also great) What I like the most is that every single character is multidimensional and not just a “supporting” character, with the personality of a rock. The dynamics between them are amazing to read. Penny, Baz and Simon are probably one of the best, well-written cast of characters I have read. The banter is absolutely gold. The spells, my dudes, are iconic ! I mean “Have a break, have a Kit-Kat,” he says. GOLD. Finally, my girl Penelope deserves an extra round of applause because she’s a fucking badass and I will defend her with my life.

So yeah, this was freaking beautiful and it deserves all the hype and I'm sorry I got to it so late but the point is, I eventually did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry On.

March 30, 2019 – Started Reading
March 30, 2019 – Shelved
March 31, 2019 –
10.0% "enjoying this so far. i like simon and waiting for ~baz~ to finally make an appearance"
April 1, 2019 –
41.0% "okay i get it."
April 3, 2019 –
68.0% "can i just say i haven't been this excited about a book since i last read the six of crows duology and kjsdhfkjsdhfds"
April 4, 2019 –
81.0% "honestly, reading this + watching lucifer (just started, it's so good) is such an iconic combo. i'm thriving idk what to tell ya"
April 6, 2019 – Finished Reading