Rebecca's Reviews > A Pursuit of Home

A Pursuit of Home by Kristi Ann Hunter

3.5stars
"I am starting to wonder . . . .if I have ever actually met you. . . . . . Are you that prickly, argumentative woman . . . . or are you the woman who talked to me in the hayloft?"

Sometimes Jessamine Beauchene doesn't even know who she truly is, so how can she possibly explain herself to the man who has morphed from constantly irritating into annoyingly (or in rare instances adorably) perceptive? Forced to confide in art expert Derek Thornbury, Jess tasks him with helping her to solve a generational mystery that could literally change the course of history, but she is equally convinced that her brain might die a slow, awkward death if she has to endure Derek's incessant diatribe of interesting (to him only) facts.

Travelling surreptitiously through-out England to view a rare collection of paintings brings Jess and Derek closer to the truth, but also reveals the danger embedded in their search. There are those intent on thwarting her, making Jess all the more cautious about involving those that she has grown to love; forcing her to wonder just how the quirky, but increasingly gallant historian fits into a different picture . . . that of her future.

Carrying the weight of heavy plot elements, this book's myriads of twists, turns, art references and duplicious, poetic meanderings may serve to confuse the reader as much as it did the characters themselves. Fortunately, its core is strong and its characters quite resiliant, for the ending is definitely worth the beginning; or perhaps the beginning is definitely worth the ending, for both are positively a "pursuit of home".

I received a copy of this book from author and publisher. The opinions stated above are entirely my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pursuit of Home.

March 29, 2019 – Shelved