Tayler Steele's Reviews > The Center of the Universe

The Center of the Universe by Ria Voros

20129960

it was ok

Thanks to Edelweiss for a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I really wanted to like this novel, but I wanted to DNF after 20%. I really could not get into it at all.

1. I felt like the main character was about as dynamic as a piece of cardboard. She was a moody brat for a large portion of the novel, and her "change" toward the end felt lacking and didn't ring true. Other than the fact that she's super into astronomy, I felt like I got no sense of her personality. I got a lot of descriptions of what she was doing, her memories, and her text/email conversations, but I left the novel with no real sense of this character.

2. Because I felt like the main character was so flat, the "romance" in the novel felt so off. The only description we really got of her feelings were some butterflies in her stomach. Then they're kissing and messing around in the car. There was no real build-up and it just wasn't something I could root for because I couldn't get invested in them as characters or as a couple.

3. Really, the only character I even halfway enjoyed or felt anything toward was the mom, GG. More than anyone, she was a character with depth and intricacies and interest. I didn't necessarily like her, especially with the whole TV stunt at the end, but I at least felt like I was watching a character develop.

4. I felt like there were so many points in this novel that could have been fleshed out into some beautiful moments with real development, but they were always cut abruptly short, which was jarring. I was constantly left wanting more, but this novel never delivered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Center of the Universe.

March 29, 2019 – Started Reading
March 29, 2019 – Shelved
April 1, 2019 –
22.0% "My problem with this novel so far so that I have no understanding of the MC's personality. I know she's obsessed with space, and there are plenty of memories, but nothing about her actual personality. Right now, she's as dimensional as a piece of cardboard."
April 1, 2019 –
56.0% "The only element of personality I'm getting from this chick is that she's a self-centered snot."
April 2, 2019 – Finished Reading