Maggie Noakes's Reviews > The Portal

The Portal by Kathryn Lasky

F 50x66

This book was highly anticipated in my reading circle, so I gave it a shot. I would have adored this as a younger child. As it stands, it was still enjoyable and focused on educational values. This book could act as an introduction into the Elizabethan time period, teach about casual customs, and more. It encourages the reader to do independent research.

The things that happened amongst the children seemed accurate, however, the way adults reacted did not. At one point an adult commits a grand act of justice, but considering the circumstances, it seemed like an over-reaction. In the scenario, a girl does something very wrong, and the punishment she ended up with was not over the top, but it was what triggered the consequences that made no sense: the girl refused to apologize for her actions, and the penalty escalated exponentially.

Finally, there were some discontinuities and phrases that would not have been established in the 16th century, but they did not distract from the story too much. The only reason I bring it up is to also mention how generally well-researched and self-aware the book is. For example, Rose, the main character, would utter a contemporary phrase, then frantically correct herself.

All in all, a good, easy read that is well-seasoned with educational facts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Portal.

Started Reading