Margo's Reviews > The Vow

The Vow by Kim Carpenter

Feb 12, 2012

it was ok
Read from February 12 to 13, 2012

I went into this book thinking it was going to be a Nicholas Sparks novel- I was so wrong. It is an incredible story but lacked the romance I was hoping for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vow.

02/12/2012 page 47
04/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie The movie was the same. I was really disappointed. It was lacking the passion/emotion/love that they conveyed in the trailers. :(

Margo Really?? Now that was what I'd though they would have changed! I was looking forward to seeing the movie because I thought this would be one of those rare times the movie was better than the book.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Yes. I'm not sure of how the story went in the book but the movie is very flashbacky. (I know it's not a word) so I couldn't really get invested in the characters. Though I did enjoy staring at Channing Tatum and his bare bum. ;)

Margo LOL, Julie! He is quite the bonus- but if you saw the pics of what they actually look like, you'd be LYAO! The book is mostly focused on her recovery and their relationship with God and what God has done for them, which is great and all BUT I thought he was going to win her heart again through romancing her and that never happened really. He did date her again (because his therapist told him too :-/ ) but it frequently ended up fighting and the main reason why they got married a second time was to give her new memories... not because he won her heart over again.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie OMG Margo they showed a picture of them at the end of the movie and I was seriously like Oh thanks for ruining it! Kind of like when I saw the real husband from Eat, Pray, Love!

The movie didn't focus on God at all, he wasn't even mentioned. And I hate that she didn't get her memory back, I realize that's not what really happened to them, but in Hollywood, it should have! Though I will say they do make it seem like she goes back to him because she sort of fell for him again, but still, it was passionless. :( BOO!!

Margo Julie, I saw the movie yesterday and I loved it! I guess after reading the book the movie seemed to me very romantic lol. It was so so SO different- which I was hoping it would be! The only thing that bothered me in the movie was how they got divorced, and never got remarried again. In the book they never got divorced- hence the name The Vow :-/ meaning that they KEPT their vows!!

Margo AND their families were very supportive... I don't like how Hollywood always makes families look evil. Makes me mad!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie So I guess you were right, this was a case where you should have read the book first! LOL yes, Hollywood is very good at making them evil.

Rebekah Wow. Romance. Okay. Where's the dislike button?

message 10: by Margo (last edited Sep 01, 2012 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Margo The cover is misleading. The movie- based on this book- is misleading… what can I say, it bored me to death. I didn't get out of it what I thought was advertised. How could I not be disappointed?

Kelsey I did the same thing. I couldn't agree with you more! Very lacking and misleading!

Margo Thank you, Kelsy! Glad to know I'm not alone.

Margo Yikes! Seriously, this book is hardly worth your strong emotional outrage. It's only a review, my personal opinion, and you are welcome to disagree...but the name calling is completely unwarranted and immature.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie Pretty sure saying no offense doesn't really negate the name calling. Hmm.