MissBecka's Reviews > The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco

bookshelves: tiny-human-and-picture-books, 2019-books-i-read, completed-library-rentals, jane-made-me-do-it, classics
Recommended to MissBecka by: Jane

Absolutely lovely!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Velveteen Rabbit.

March 29, 2019 – Shelved
April 15, 2019 – Shelved as: completed-library-rentals
April 15, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: jane-made-me-do-it
November 15, 2019 – Shelved as: classics

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

mina 😊

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky "phenkos" I know the Velveteen Rabbit, it's adorable!!

MissBecka I thought so as well Vicky!

Jane Whew! I'm glad you liked :) Was it lovely having it narrated? That's how I would have had it the first time.

MissBecka I actually read it myself while he was at work lol. We are going to get our own copy to add to the rotation ;)

Jane Were you sad? Did you cry?

MissBecka I was actually quite angry while reading it. May have swore at the book in disgust with how they treated that lovely, thoughtful stuffed bunny. All was well by the end though of course ;)

MissBecka 💜 Yay!

Jane I was gutted as a child. This was the saddest book ever for me. I think I was even maybe somewhat annoyed that it was even read to me, because why would anyone willingly choose to read about such a tragedy?

MissBecka I know! I'm actually really glad this was never in my childhood. I am positive it would have crushed me as a child. I had a stuffed bunny I was inseparable with as a child and I'm positive this would have hit a little too close to home with me as a kiddo.

message 11: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane I had a velveteen poodle puppet that being without was apparently the equivalent to losing an arm. I lost it in a Woolco once. My dad had to make them open the store back up so he could find it. I do believe he may have had to threaten bodily harm to get back in the store, but there would have been no sleep for anyone in a 6 block radius if I'd not gotten it back.

MissBecka Lolz, yup sounds about right. Oh the things we did for our childhood besties :)
Our poor parents.

message 13: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Lol, yes indeed. After that, I was given more easily replaceable "friends". An empty dog leash that I used to haul around my imaginary dog, and a bubble in a baby food jar named Dukie. I can't even remember the name of the stupid poodle, but I know that bubble's name was Dukie.

MissBecka Hahahahahaha, oh my.
I actually still have my childhood stuffed rabbit. She was given to me for my first birthday and by golly she will be buried with me...she knows too many secrets ;)
A bubble in a baby food jar named Dukie? Interesting. How long did the bubble last or was it replaced on a regular basis?

message 15: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Well, as far as I knew, Dukie was always Dukie. But I imagine that he had some help with regular water refills from more capable hands than mine ;)

I still have my teddy bear I was given at birth. Somewhere. It's in pretty rough shape though ;)

MissBecka They probably did it while you were sleeping lol.
Yeah my stuffed rabbit is on her last leg so to speak as well lol. Things we hold sentimental.

message 17: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Lol. Or when I was distracted by shiny things ;)

MissBecka Ooooooh shiny things! Shiny things are pretty and awesome and ....what were we talking about? Did you get new shiny things was that it?

message 19: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars