C.E. Hart's Reviews > The Key to Happily Ever After

The Key to Happily Ever After by Tif Marcelo

The Key to Happily Ever After is on my Favorites of 2019 list! I really enjoyed the de la Rosa sisters and the myriad of emotions they put me through. The book includes witty moments, to be sure, but I don’t necessarily agree with its categorization as a romantic comedy. It feels much deeper than that—more like women’s fiction (my favorite genre) with elements of romance.

One of my favorite aspects of this book is the family dynamic between the three sisters—Mari, Jane, and Pearl. Although I enjoy and sympathize with all three women, I connect most strongly with Jane (being a middle sister myself.) Each personality fits their birth order (without being cookie-cutter) and I can imagine my own sisters in similar plights. The small touches of their Filipino culture are stimulating, and I wish even more were included!

The visualizations the author creates are vivid, and the characters feel authentic. Washington, D.C. is a fresh book setting for me, and I feel as if I’ve walked the streets of downtown, visited the Rings and Roses wedding boutique, and the sisters’ home on Duchess Street. The love connections are sweet, organic, and dissimilar, but appealing in their own special way. I “know” the main and secondary characters and consider them friends. Sigh… I will miss them.

The song titles at the opening of each chapter set the mood nicely and add an interesting dynamic to reading. Because all the songs are well known, it is easy to place the lyrics and tone in my mind as I read along.

This is a lively and touching story examining the importance of family, friends, trust, and the formidable and beneficial bonds of sisterhood.

#TheKeyToHappilyEverAfter
#AFavoriteOf2019

Author: Tif Marcelo
Publisher: Gallery Books
Pages: 320
Source: I received a complimentary copy as a member of the Tall Poppy Blogger's Team.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Key to Happily Ever After.

March 28, 2019 – Started Reading