Noriko's Reviews > Cadbury Creme Murder

Cadbury Creme Murder by Susan Gillard

bookshelves: cozy-mystery
Read 2 times. Last read June 15, 2019 to June 16, 2019.

3.5 stars. Quick, light, and fluffy read as always. It's been a nice 2+ hour ride following Heather's personal life and solving a murder case.

One thing I like about the heroine, Heather; she is not your typical nosy, let-me-handle-this-case-because-I-am-better-than-you-law-enforcement kind of heroine. She knows her place and is all willing to let the police handle the real job. She does a bit of snooping (at other's request) but she has basically no intention of putting her nose into murder investigations. It's well-displayed in the early part of this book.

Regardless, she starts to investigate at the behest of Eva - Heather's favorite customer's and the victim's best friend. The investigation hits a snag with too many suspects yet without any concrete motive, and then comes Heather's personal life debacle.

Nicely intertwined with Heather's romance with Ryan though, I couldn't wipe away the feeling that the latter part felt rushed. Once again, perhaps due to the length of the book. It does often happen when a story picks up and speeds up as all the clues and hits getting tied together, yet Heather's thoughts process came across a bit forced or even convenient, coming up with a possible motive all of a sudden.
The reason why a particular character comes to Heather's rescue at the very crucial moment isn't explained at all, either. Another addition to my slight discontent.

The romance department in this book is satisfactory. This book seems to put more emphasis on the romance than other books, but it works nicely, piquing my curiosity to see how it plays out from here.

Overall, this is another delightful installment in the Donut Hole Mystery. If you could stand the mystery plot being a little flat without much complication, this series might be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cadbury Creme Murder.

March 28, 2019 – Shelved