Steven Godin's Reviews > In Our Time

In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway

bookshelves: fiction, short-stories

Hot on the heels of reading 'The Sun Also Rises' & 'A Moveable Feast' (loved them both), I couldn't resist trying some of his short fiction. I had read the odd Hemingway short-story before, but this my first collection, and I wasn't disappointed. Basically this is the book that thrust Hem into the limelight, and set him on a path to write some of the 20th century's best known novels. His style is again a sparse, simple but efficient prose that works so well, and he has that knack similar to Richard Yates of easily conveying deep emotions within a matter of minutes through the great use of dialogue. There is mixture of experimentation and autobiographical elements with themes Hemingway would return to in his later writings - that of war and returning from war, bullfighting, hunting, fishing, difficulties of marriage, and disappointments. One of his strongest attributes here is exploring moral values. Some vignettes / stories connect characters, some don't. All though are classic Hemingway. The pick of the bunch for me were - 'The End of Something', 'Soldier's Home', 'Out of Season', and 'My Old Man'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Our Time.

Finished Reading
March 28, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I am just now reading my first Hemingway, Steven, so am following your Hemingway journey with great interest!

message 2: by Violet (new)

Violet wells "The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.”
is that quote from these stories?

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana Ovejero hemingway is one of my favourite author. My favorite short story is A Clean Well-Lighted place. just beauty

Steven Godin Ana wrote: "hemingway is one of my favourite author. My favorite short story is A Clean Well-Lighted place. just beauty"

Really liked that too Ana.

Steven Godin Sandy wrote: "I am just now reading my first Hemingway, Steven, so am following your Hemingway journey with great interest!"

That's great Sandy, hope you like him and read many more!

message 6: by Steven (last edited Apr 01, 2019 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steven Godin Violet wrote: ""The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If ..."

That sounds like a quote I should remember Violet, will take a second look.

Nope, I couldn't see that. Maybe it's from one of his novels you have read.

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Violet wrote: ""The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If ..."

From A Farewell to Arms.

message 9: by Steven (last edited Apr 01, 2019 08:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steven Godin Sandy wrote: "Violet wrote: ""The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave i..."

Ah, thanks. I haven't read that yet, but it's likely to be my next Hemingway.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I haven’t read it either, Steven. 😂
I just googled the quote and followd a link to a Goodreads quote page featuring the quote. Fortunately, the title was mentioned (not always the case).

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard Sounds like a great collection ........ enjoyed your review Steven.

message 12: by Violet (new)

Violet wells Steven wrote: "Violet wrote: ""The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave i..."

Maybe I recommended the wrong book to you then! Nick and his father are in a boat. I remember that. And there's another stunning quote in the story.

message 13: by Violet (new)

Violet wells Just seen Sandy's post. Yep, got my wires crossed. It's farewell to Arms.

Steven Godin Richard wrote: "Sounds like a great collection ........ enjoyed your review Steven."

Cheers, Richard.

Steven Godin Violet wrote: "Steven wrote: "Violet wrote: ""The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and t..."

You are right, Nick features in a few of these stories, so you didn't get the book wrong, just that particular quote. It's easily done!