Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Seven Storey Mountain

The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton

2281988

bookshelves: 2019, genre-non-fiction, level-adult

#CathLit2019 - A Spiritual Memoir

I was really surprised at how much I loved this book. I was drawn into the details of Merton's life and conversion from the very first page, and I found it impossible to put the book down. I love the way he incorporates observations about the Holy Spirit's influence in his life throughout the biographical sections of text, and his sincerity in trying to discern his true vocation.

Since finishing the book, I have learned (from my current read, The Life You Save May Be Your Own: An American Pilgrimage) that the Trappist censors kept some key information out of The Seven Storey Mountain, which Merton had originally included. Once I understood what was removed from the book, certain odd moments of his story made a lot more sense to me. Though the story of his conversion is powerful as written, I don't think it's a good idea to rely solely on this book to gain a good understanding of who this man was as a human being, or as a Catholic, since a very serious misstep on his part is not included.

Overall, though, this was everything I could have asked for in a spiritual autobiography, and I found it to be inspiring reading for the Lenten season.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Storey Mountain.

March 27, 2019 – Started Reading