judy's Reviews > Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch

Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Bedell Smith

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: biography-memoir

I found myself rolling my eyes when I opened this book and thinking "tell me something I don't know." I can't say the author told me a lot of things I didn't know but the context and flow were amazing. Although an official biography will be written when the Queen dies, I expect this is the one that non-academics will read. It is charming, well researched and moves right along through this amazing woman's 85 years. Probably there will be some anti-monarchists who will claim that Bedell Smith was too in awe of her subject. Could be but time and time again she shows how Prime Ministers and others who expect not to like the Queen eventually find her, as Tony Blair said, simply the Best of Britain. What a shame we don't have a wise, empathic, thoroughly knowledgeable, neutral person at the top of our highly political heap. Stability and continuity suddenly seem like marvelous things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth the Queen.

Started Reading
February 12, 2012 – Shelved
February 12, 2012 – Shelved as: biography-memoir
February 12, 2012 – Finished Reading

Katherine Coble We have a flag. We have the ideals of liberty. That's better than putting our faith in fallible German imports.

(yes, I'm an anti-monarchist. ;-) )

judy Yep, we have a flag. And until about a decade ago I thought we had ideals of liberty. Now it seems that the definition of liberty is up for grabs with each party claiming to have exclusive ownership of the true definition--and exactly how it should be applied. Even our Founders fought over exactly what our ideals should be--but the difference is that they compromised because they put holding the new nation together at the top of their priority list.