Jennrin's Reviews > In at the Deep End

In at the Deep End by Kate        Davies

bookshelves: arc, contemporary, lgbtqia-character, read-2019, romance

Thanks to the publisher for sending an ARC of this to my work! :)

This book is so much fun! ...until it's not. Yiiiikes that ending drama was nasty.

I want to call this a rom-com book but it really isn't due to the subject matter. We follow Julia who starts out as a bisexual woman going through a sexual dry spell and quickly becomes a lesbian sex savant with an emotionally damaged (view spoiler)girlfriend. This book tackles the dark topic of domestic abuse. But Julia's voice is so fun to read that it feels like you're reading a modern "chick flick" movie.

There are only two things that kept this from being a five star read for me.

1: Julia gets really good at lesbian sex REALLY fast. Like. By the second time she was amazing at sex. Is it just me?? Like???? I've never met anyone who got good at sex that fast.

and 2: This book could've had great bisexual rep. But instead Julia (who identified as bi in the beginning chapters) goes "I'm tired of men I think I might be a lesbian" and then gets with a girl and goes "omg I'm a lesbian you guys". Porque no los dos? You can still be bi, girl. It was especially confusing to me, as Julia fantasizes about having sex with a drag queen later on. But by the end is still staunchly a lesbian.

My favorite part of all, though, is the discussion Julia has with herself at the end. After we go through it all with her, she marvels at the fact that if this were a story from Sam's POV Julia would have been the villain. I thought that was an interesting thing to think about. How it is all perspective. And I thought that it showed how Julia had grown and become more self-aware.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In at the Deep End.

March 27, 2019 – Started Reading