♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: steam-warm, genre-contemporary, read-2012

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

wow, what a great book this turned out to be! It's one of the few 'hyped' books I've read lately that really live up to the hype.

At first I really wasn't sure about it. The book description didn't sound like my cuppa, and in a way it wasn't, but the author really made this one work and made me a believer.

Seriously, don't shy away from this one! Yes, there is a whopping age difference between the H/h, with the heroine being the older of the two. 13 1/2 years actually, but by the time the romance happens they were both equal in all ways important: two fully grown adults living alone with the barest resources for their creature comfort and survival, and no longer believing in ever joining the real world again. Under those circumstances, the romance really worked.

This story is a self published indie book, so yes it has some rough spots. But the author will quickly suck you into the story with her writing. This entire story is told from both the hero and heroine's POV. It switches off from her first-person accounts, to his first-person accounts, and back and forth. LOVED IT!!

There was so much to enjoy in this book. Great chemistry and characters, loved the survival aspect, and no sugar coating their dire situation. It made an emotional and gripping read. Oh boy did I cry in a few places too!

Thanks everyone who recommended it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

February 12, 2012 – Shelved
April 12, 2012 – Started Reading
April 12, 2012 –
30.0% "Very different, but I can't put it down."
April 13, 2012 – Finished Reading

Sherron I see you have this on your Wishlist. I can do a kindle loan if you would like to read it.

message 2: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Apr 11, 2012 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Lol, I bought it the other day. I hope to read it soon, but thank you so much for the offer!

Sherron Anytime

KA i couldn't put it down either. :)
enjoy!

♡Karlyn P♡ Wow did I love this one! Kerianne, thanks for the nudge to finally read this one.

Anne OK Another of my favorite finds this year! Looking forward to reading your full review KarLyn.

KA glad you enjoyed it as much as i did. i always love when i'm surprised by a new author. it definitely wasn't what i expected. i cried too. :)

Kristen Wonderful review. I loved this book too.

♡Karlyn P♡ Thanks everyone, this one has really stuck with me since I finished it. I would never have read it if not for my GR friends!

paula Great review. Just started this one.

♡Karlyn P♡ Paula wrote: "Great review. Just started this one."

Hope you enjoy it Paula! I wasn't so sure during the first few pages, but it quickly grew on me. By the end, I was unable to put it down.

paula I really did enjoy this one! Not the type of book I would normally choose, but so glad I gave it a chance. :)

♡Karlyn P♡ I'm glad you liked it Paula!! It really surprised me too. I considered quitting after a couple of pages, but I'm glad I read on.

♡Karlyn P♡ This is going to be a movie!! ;-)

message 15: by Kristen (last edited May 05, 2012 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen "All kidding aside, I received some fantastic news yesterday and I'm beyond thrilled to announce that On the Island has been optioned for a feature film by MGM. I never thought I'd ever type those words."

Wow! That is exciting news! How ecstatic the author must be. Thanks for letting me know.

Anne OK Wonderful review! I'm excited for Tracey Garvis-Graves and hope to someday be watching "On the Island" up on the big screen!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) KarLynP wrote: The author never cheapens the romance either, it is of the heart and not meant to just titillate the reader. Nothing smutty or milf'y about it. Just an odd but beautiful love.

I was afraid to read this at first, but like you stated the author doesn't use the age difference or circumstances to 'titillate'. The reconciliation was a bit rushed, but everything, including the romance, felt sincere. The lack of angst/turmoil over the age-difference was nice. It was life experiences and different stages of life that were the main issue, which was highlighted in social situations.

♡Karlyn P♡ Anna wrote: "KarLynP wrote: The author never cheapens the romance either, it is of the heart and not meant to just titillate the reader. Nothing smutty or milf'y about it. Just an odd but beautiful love.

I was..."

If it wasn't for all the people recommending it, I doubt I would have ever read it. The description made me think it might be cheesy, but it sure wasn't.

Karla Great review KarLynP!! I didn't know what to expect, but like you, on the urging of other friends, I read it and loved it. Normally news about a book being made into a movie does not excite me, because so many times Hollywood gets it wrong. BUT I could see this one working and the thought of that is very exciting. Thanks for the info!!

♡Karlyn P♡ Thanks Karla! I just wonder how they can pull off TJ, he physically grows several inches and goes from boy to man over the time period. Otherwise, I think this would make an awesome movie.

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Wonderful review, KarLynne! So glad I finally got to this!

♡Karlyn P♡ Jill wrote: "Wonderful review, KarLyn! So glad I finally got to this!"

Thanks Jill!! I never would have read it if not for all the great reviews by people I trust. Glad you liked it too. (I can't wait for the movie now!)

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Jill wrote: "Wonderful review, KarLyn! So glad I finally got to this!"

Just hope the movie does the book justice.

message 24: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole I am currently half way through the book...it reminds me of the movie I watched growing up called the Blue Lagoon.

♡Karlyn P♡ nicole wrote: "I am currently half way through the book...it reminds me of the movie I watched growing up called the Blue Lagoon."

It kind of reminded me of that movie too. But I enjoyed this one MUCH more. :-)

Splage Totally Blue Lagoon meets Castaway;)

♡Karlyn P♡ Splage wrote: "Totally Blue Lagoon meets Castaway;)"

Throw in some Gilligan's Island, too!! (view spoiler)

message 28: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I've just bought this book. Not sure whether to read it or sell it! But reading your review, I think I might just take it home.

♡Karlyn P♡ Oh, definitely read it!

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ OMG, you just read this!? You're so lucky I didn't know b/c I would've harassed you, relentlessly. ;)

Glad you liked it so much. It's one of my all time faves and I still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I read it. It's an amazing book.

Mary - Buried Under Romance Great review! I came across this by accident and wanted to know more about the story.

♡Karlyn P♡ Mary wrote: "Great review! I came across this by accident and wanted to know more about the story."

Thanks Mary! Hope you enjoy it.

Mary - Buried Under Romance So is this contemporary romance? How else would you classify this in a genre? :)

♡Karlyn P♡ Mary wrote: "So is this contemporary romance? How else would you classify this in a genre? :)"

Yes, it is a contemporary romance, and it spans over several years.

message 35: by Didi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Didi Awesome review! I loved this, cried Like a baby, and wept with joy in the end. It's a stay with you forever type book and it got me hook, line and sinker!

♡Karlyn P♡ Didi wrote: "Awesome review! I loved this, cried Like a baby, and wept with joy in the end. It's a stay with you forever type book and it got me hook, line and sinker!"

I keep hoping this will be made into a movie, but since the movie is never as good as the book maybe it's for the best. This one really surprised me, in a good way.

message 37: by Didi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Didi A movie? Hmmm...nothing ever compares to your minds eye does it? It surprised me too, I think it's time for a re-read :-)

message 38: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Apr 15, 2014 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Didi wrote: "A movie? Hmmm...nothing ever compares to your minds eye does it? It surprised me too, I think it's time for a re-read :-)"

She sold the movie rights a few years ago, but so far nothing about it really becoming a movie. Many books get optioned for movies, but few ever turn into one. And if they cast the wrong people (then the ones in my minds eye!) I will be so disappointed.

message 39: by Didi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Didi I didn't know that, that would be interesting but you're right, it's all about the casting--though I do love Christian Greys casting, lol

♡Karlyn P♡ Didi wrote: "I didn't know that, that would be interesting but you're right, it's all about the casting--though I do love Christian Greys casting, lol"

Oh wow, the drama of casting for that movie was epic! I didn't like FSOG so I didn't have a care who got the roles, but I felt bad for the first actor who got cast. But it sure speaks volumes about the 'minds eye' you mentioned, and the fans really were not seeing him in that part. I like the guy they finally cast for the part, but I don't know if I will ever see the movie.

message 41: by Didi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Didi I know right? It was crazy with the casting. The movie will never give justice to the book. I loved the first one but they went down hill from there, with the third being read mainly for closure.

Romance Karlyn- I'm so surprised you enjoyed this one so much. I started following you after an amazing discerning review you did on a Julie Anne Long book and was scrolling through your other reviews to try to find another author to pick up. As a fellow discerning reader who is willing to overlook some plot /detail discrepancies for the sake of the romance, there were too many "Oh, come on" s in this book for me. SPOILER Eg: Her suitcase magically washes on shore after weeks (?) containing USABLE non-waterlogged tampons??!! also they have 1 knife they use for everything that is still somehow sharp enough to CUT DOWN A TREE? This kind of stuff threw me out of an otherwise fascinating plotline, in the same way JAL editing snafus did in her books.