Cynthia's Reviews > Surprised by Oxford

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber

2027850
Feb 12, 2012

"Who is God to you? I'd really like to know." No one had actually asked me such pointed questions of the topic before...I felt like a hummingbird that had hit the glass. Hard."

Carolyn left Canada to attend Oxford. She took with her an unquestioned agnosticism and a large chip on her shoulder from her upbringing. She quickly met professors, friends, and assorted others who challenged (both purposefully and not) her beliefs and feelings. Tall, Dark, Handsome (TDH) entered her life, adding a new dimension. This book is her journey not just into belief, but purpose and fulfillment.

I really enjoyed this book as it details Weber's experiences of both the heart and mind. So many books these days seem to cater to one or the other, rarely both. She affirms that to believe is not anti-intellectual. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the conversations she had with various people, believers and not and her inner thoughts that went with these discussions. It is interesting to see how she can look back and see how various events wove together in purpose while she was there. Overall, a very well written and interesting book appealing to a variety of readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surprised by Oxford.