Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > A Green Place to Be: The Creation of Central Park

A Green Place to Be by Ashley Benham Yazdani

2281988

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, format-picture-books, genre-non-fiction

This is a book likely to be of the greatest interest to families with a connection to New York. I grew up around 90 miles north of Manhattan, and I was fascinated by the city as a kid, but my Maryland-born daughters don't yet have the context for being interested in the details of New York City history, so I haven't shared the book with them. For New Yorkers, though, this will be a welcome addition to libraries and classrooms.

I noted that the illustrations - particularly those of the present day - include a lot of the diversity one is likely to encounter in New York City, including people of a variety of racial backgrounds, body types, and ages engaging in such activities as yoga, biking, eating, jumping rope, and attending a same-sex wedding ceremony in the crowd scene on the last page. Readers who miss this and other details on their first reading are reminded of them in the back matter, which encourages kids to go back through the pictures to answer questions such as "Did you see all those gray squirrels?" and "Did you find a wedding?" This informational section at the end of the book also includes condensed biographies of the two key figures behind Central Park's creation, a brief author's note, and a bibliography.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Green Place to Be.

Started Reading