Paul Dale's Reviews > Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: philosphy-and-religion

I read a beat up copy of this book for the first time as a teenager on holiday with friends, camping in one of their aunt's back garden. It had a chunk of pages missing. It introduced me to the idea I could think about things I had never thought of before and so kicked me off down a path I spent years following.

If it wasn't for this book I probably would not have gone and read up on Buddhism and ultimately become Buddhist. I'm not saying this is a Buddhist book, merely the trigger.

I may never have gone and read Greek classics just to see what he was going on about in the book. I may never have read the Illiad. I may not have read metaphysics or got into quantum mechanics during my undergraduate degree.

I have re-read the book numerous times. The story between father and son passed me by the first few times but that was a mistake. The road trip element and that relationship is one worth reading.

I think this is the kind of book that will affect you differently depending where you are in life. For me, when I was just starting down an existentialist, angst ridden road, it had a big effect. I was young and impressionable but think I'm no worse for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.