Linda Edquist's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Feb 12, 2012

I am almost finished and I must say that Isaacson is a wonderful writer! Reading this is not just about Steve Jobs it is also about the beginning and growth of the personal computers we all have grown so dependent on - the background of what was going on is REALLY interesting. I sit here at my computer with a whole new perspective on why.

Also - so glad that I divorced my naracistic partner 10+ years ago.

DONE - since this was not a book to carry to the Metro each day it took longer to get through but it was not because I was having a hard time getting through.
Final quote for from when he knew the end was near: "'It's strange to think that you accumlate all this experience, and maybe a little wisdom, and it just goes away. So I really want to believe that something survives, that maybe your consciousness endures.'
"He fell silent for a very long time. 'But on the other had, perhaps it's like an on-off switch,' he said. 'Click! And you're gone.'
"Then he paused again and smiled slightly. 'Maybe that's why I never like to put on-off switches on Apple devices.'"

A must read for those that really want to understand Silicone Valley culture & what change looks like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.

February 12, 2012 – Shelved
March 2, 2012 –
page 463
70.58% "..."Jobs again reiterated that lesson from his father: 'When you're a carpenter making a beautiful chest of drawers, you're not going to use a piece of plywood on the bakc, even though it faces the wall and nobody will ever see it. You'll know it's there, so you're going to use a beautiful piece of wood on the back. For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.'""
Started Reading