Miranda Reads's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

bookshelves: audiobook, ya-series

description

Life is a constant struggle between being an individual and being a member of the community.
Junior, a teenager on the Spokane Indian Reservation (the "rez"), spent his entire life trying to blend in.

He was a smallish kid who used to have seizures. He was picked on and bullied almost constantly.

And then...something snapped.
There are all kinds of addicts, I guess. We all have pain. And we all look for ways to make the pain go away.
Junior realized that he was going nowhere fast and the only way to get out was to literally...get out.

He transfers to an all-white rural school (with a lovely Indian mascot) and everything changes.

Well...sort of.

He's still hated at his old school but now instead of being picked on for his size and health issues, he gets to be picked on for being a traitor.

But no matter what is said or what is thrown at him, Junior decides that he will make it out there. No. Matter. What.
If you let people into your life a little bit, they can be pretty damn amazing.
Overall - I liked this book and that makes the drama with the author all the more disappointing.

Junior was funny and crude and hilarious and above all, real. So very real.
I was studying the sky like I was an astronomer, except it was daytime and I didn't have a telescope, so I was just an idiot.
Sometimes, you wish the authors could live up to the characters they write.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

March 25, 2019 – Started Reading
March 25, 2019 – Shelved
March 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this was a fun read for you, Miranda ;) Terrific review!!

J.K. Grice Wonderful review, Miranda! I liked this one too ;o)

Madeline Cathryn Wdym by drama with the author?

J.K. Grice Madeline wrote: "Wdym by drama with the author?"

Yes I was curious about that too Miranda?

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "Glad this was a fun read for you, Miranda ;) Terrific review!!"

Thank you!

Miranda Reads J.K. wrote: "Wonderful review, Miranda! I liked this one too ;o)"

Agreed!

message 7: by Miranda (last edited Apr 18, 2019 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miranda Reads Madeline wrote: "Wdym by drama with the author?"

Apparently the author had a few...instances where he implied that he wanted to mentor young, female authors when really he wanted to have sex. Then he'd ghost them.

Normally, I feel the author's personal life should be kept separate from his writing...but it felt weird to write a glowing recommendation of a book for an author who used his fame to have sex with women.

And, ironically, this is the exact thing that Junior (in the book) would never even consider.

Sandy Thanks for the information about the author. I had no idea he did these things. I'm so disappointed. But I still like his books. I agree with you Miranda Reads, that I too will try to keep his writing separate from his personal life.

message 9: by Taylor (last edited Apr 18, 2019 02:49PM) (new)

Taylor So glad you enjoyed this book. It's on my TBR. I'm taking an Adolescent Lit class this summer, and it's one of the books we're going to be reading. So excited!

Kendall I just reread this for a class and found it less charming than you did unfortunately. Still enjoyable, but the overuse of homophobic slurs wasn't to my taste and tainted the story for me a bit

Angela I too enjoyed this book. The message felt genuine and I connected with the characters easily.

Miranda Reads Sandy wrote: "Thanks for the information about the author. I had no idea he did these things. I'm so disappointed. But I still like his books. I agree with you Miranda Reads, that I too will try to keep his writ..."

It's really unfortunate. Truly a disappointing realization

Miranda Reads Taylor wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this book. It's on my TBR. I'm taking an Adolescent Lit class this summer, and it's one of the books we're going to be reading. So excited!"

I hope you enjoy it!!

message 14: by Miranda (last edited Apr 20, 2019 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miranda Reads Kendall wrote: "I just reread this for a class and found it less charming than you did unfortunately. Still enjoyable, but the overuse of homophobic slurs wasn't to my taste and tainted the story for me a bit"

The slurs were definitely a low point but it did make the experience feel real

Miranda Reads Angela wrote: "I too enjoyed this book. The message felt genuine and I connected with the characters easily."

Agreed! Glad you enjoyed it too