DeAnn's Reviews > The Invited

The Invited by Jennifer  McMahon

bookshelves: 2019

4 haunted stars

Truly a ghost story with an outcome I didn't predict at all. The book starts with the hanging of Hattie Breckenridge for witchcraft. (Incidentally, I like the last name because of Breckenridge, Colorado)

We flash forward to present day when a couple decides to move to the country in Vermont and build their dream home, modeled on a historic saltbox house. Almost right away, strange things start happening and items are disappearing and it isn't clear if someone is sabotaging their building site or if it is haunted (as the legend goes) by Hattie's ghost. Is Hattie a protective ghost or a destructive one?

There's a spunky teen in the story, Olive, and I rooted for her throughout the book as tries to find her mother who fled one night and hasn't been seen since.

McMahon creates a wonderful atmosphere in this one and I found it a very quick read, which is good because it has to go back to the library! I also enjoyed and an earlier read of Jennifer McMahon's - "Don't Breathe a Word." I do want to read some of her earlier titles as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invited.

March 25, 2019 – Shelved
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 23, 2019 – Started Reading
May 23, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
May 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Superb Review!

Diane S ☔ Very nice review, DeAnn.

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Terrific review!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Berry I love the cover!

DeAnn Sumit wrote: "Superb Review!"

Thanks Sumit!

DeAnn Diane S ☔ wrote: "Very nice review, DeAnn."

Thanks very much Diane!

DeAnn Jayme wrote: "Terrific review!"

Jayme, thank you!

DeAnn Jessica wrote: "I love the cover!"

Me too Jessica, I could really picture the house when I read the book.

message 9: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Excellent review, DeAnn 💖

message 10: by NZLisaM (new) - added it

NZLisaM Love your review, DeAnn. Have this from audible, and can't wait to get to it. 😊

DeAnn Felicia wrote: "Excellent review, DeAnn 💖"

Thanks Felicia!

DeAnn NZLisaM wrote: "Love your review, DeAnn. Have this from audible, and can't wait to get to it. 😊"

Thanks Lisa, I think you would like it!