Juli's Reviews > Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power

Waking the Witch by Pam Grossman

bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I've been following Pam Grossman for a while and love her podcast The Witch Wave. I connect with her intuition and sensitivity toward spiritual subjects. I was elated when I received this ARC. I am a feminist but not very outspoken about it. I am spiritual in private and I am bookish and academic outwardly. Waking the Witch touched upon all of these aspects of me. I felt, it was well-researched and logically laid out. I enjoyed the many mentions of books, paintings, movies, talks, and music. Contemporary, as well as historical facts and trivia, were expertly interweaved with Grossman's personal experiences and memoir-like tales.

Furthermore, it read easily. In fact, this may be the fastest I have finished a non-fiction book. At the end of the last chapter, I felt satisfied that I learned something. This book was educational to me without feeling like a textbook. It certainly is no in-depth guide to witchcraft or similar things but it appears to be a wonderful introduction to witches and their feminist aspirations. I love the idea that being a witch can have so many meanings and Grossman does an amazing job of being inclusive and open to other lifestyles, believes, and experiences. I walked away from this feeling seriously pumped of her interpretation of feminism and where we should go from here. This is a book that I will consult in the future when I might feel bleak about today's society or when I might need some spiritual insight. You definitely don't need to be a witch in the most literal sense to enjoy her writing and be inspired by it.

As a novice in this field (so take this with a grain of salt), I can see this book becoming a staple for people who seek mindfulness, spirituality, and/or a unique way of feminism. I believe this would be a fantastic book for book clubs and similar discussion groups as it has many jumping off points along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking the Witch.

March 25, 2019 – Shelved
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-arcs
May 5, 2019 – Started Reading
May 5, 2019 –
May 6, 2019 –
60.0% "This book is just so interesting."
May 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla Love your review! Can’t wait to read it!!!