Ben Haskett's Reviews > Walking to Aldebaran

Walking to Aldebaran by Adrian Tchaikovsky

bookshelves: i-read-this-on-my-kindle, netgalley

Funny, shocking, and creative.

(Thank you to NetGalley for this free ARC in exchange for an honest review.)

A great little novella. Astronaut Gary Rendell has been wandering the "crypts" (a planet-sized orb with various entrances that seem to connect planetary systems together; the innards of which almost seem randomly generated, like a roguelike video game) for so long that he's beginning to go a little crazy. This insanity starts with a run of sardonic humor about his predicament (and there are some real laughs in here, I tell you what), but as the story winds on, the scales tip closer to the scary kind of crazy--a slow tick-tick-tick from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde. The result of this insanity was shocking but so seamlessly glossed over that I hadn't realized it until two pages after the fact and had to backtrack. Made me gasp.

It's a good one. Fascinating and very well written.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking to Aldebaran.

March 25, 2019 – Shelved
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: i-read-this-on-my-kindle
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 26, 2019 – Started Reading
March 26, 2019 –
March 27, 2019 –
34.0% "Finished chapter 1-5. Absolutely delightful. I've read a few stories with a single main character (fictional journals, I might as well call them) but what makes this so much more enjoyable than, say, Beacon 23 by Hugh Howie, is the narrator's optimism and good humor. Reminiscent of The Martian by Andy Weir, but far more manic and detached, like someone playing a roguelike set in space and narrating the experience."
March 28, 2019 –
37.0% "Haha, I only went from 34 to 37% in a whole day. My poor Kindle just doesn't get the same amount of action as whatever physical book I'm reading--it's often limited to in-bed reading and, well, toilet reading. Still a great book, though! I'll likely make it a priority after finishing Educated."
March 28, 2019 –
45.0% "I love this disgruntled spaceman. Sometimes he's Dr. Thaddeus Venture, sometimes his nostrils flair and he flashes full-on Brock Samson."
March 31, 2019 –