Ashley Houser's Reviews > Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone

Braving the Wilderness by Brené Brown

bookshelves: listened-to-audiobook

We'll keep this review short because... well... the book is short.

I snatched this audiobook from the library in my quest to read all the Reese Witherspoon Book Club picks. This is her pick from January of 2018.

Don't let the title or the cover deceive you. I thought this was going to be a book about a woman out in the wilderness trying to survive. Wrong. Well at least not in the literal sense.

Braving the Wilderness is about the quest to belong. What does that really mean? The author would tell you, "True belonging doesn't require us to change who we are. It requires us to be who we are." And Brown take us on a quick journey through her research surrounding this topic.

While I didn't find this book awe-inspiring, it did give me a lot to think about. About my thoughts and actions and how I respond to people. Why our society is so divided, particularly in the political realm. This book does have lots of political undertones (although I would not say it is overtly political in nature). And I think it applies to folks on both sides of the political fence and everything in between. How can we be nicer to each other? How can we take opportunities to listen to understand rather than listen to respond? How do we bridge the enormous divide in our country and stop judging those who aren't in our "political corner?"

You may not agree with everything Brown presents in this book, but I guarantee you will walk away with at least a few ideas for improving yourself as a human being. And at a short 4 hours on audio (a little over 200 pages in print), it is an extremely quick read you could tackle in one afternoon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Braving the Wilderness.

March 25, 2019 – Started Reading