McKay's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

88061963

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

March 24, 2019 – Started Reading
March 24, 2019 – Shelved
March 26, 2019 –
March 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by McKay (last edited Mar 26, 2019 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

McKay I just finished my reread of the three books in The Hunger Games series. And I have to admit, even with what I remembered from my first read and the movies, Mockingjay left me underwhelmed.

I will admit that I'm not sure there was a better way to end it than how Suzanne Collins did, but regardless, I was ready for it to be over.

I am SO SICK of the love triangle throughout the series, and this book was the worst of them all in that regard - We get it, Peeta and Gale both love Katniss. We get it, Katniss doesn't know what she wants. But it seems unfair to give us a strong, admirable, opinionated female character like Katniss and to spend so much of her story worrying about which boy she'll end up with.

I will defend Peeta Mellark until my death, and I fully agree, as Haymitch said, that Katniss could live a thousand lifetimes and never deserve him. I know that relationships aren't about deserving anyway, but it seems unfair to have Katniss decide in the end - after she's basically had the choice taken away from her because of Gale's bomb - that she wants to be with Peeta. She says that's how it always would have been, but I'm skeptical.

The rest of the storyline in the book was relatively exciting and interesting, but the countless deaths and heartbreak hit a little too close to home. I really admire the author's ability to capture grief in simple, poetic, true words. Rereading this series has helped me evaluate some of the bereavement that I'm dealing with myself.

All in all, I still think that The Hunger Games is a phenomenal series. The storyline is so creative and it's hard not to connect to the characters. Once you get past the rigidity of Suzanne Collins writing Katniss's words (she's 16, okay, nobody talks like that at that age), it's really enjoyable. I will definitely be rereading it again.