Shannon's Reviews > Girls Don't Fly

Girls Don't Fly by Kristen Chandler

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, love-the-protagonist
Read on February 28, 2012 , read count: 1

I was surprised by how much I liked this book. It's popped up on my recommendations a few times and I've always ignored it. It seemed ok, but it didn't catch my attention enough for me to pick it up and read. I was perusing the new releases at the library. I saw a copy of this, thought what the hell, and grabbed one. After finishing the story, I'm glad I picked this up. I loved the main character Myra and this is a good book if you realistic teen fiction. Everything that happened felt real to me. It covered many topics from pregnancy, high school life, break-ups, to family issues. The one thing that bothered me was all the focus on birds. While I understand why it was included in the story, it did get a little overwhelming at times. I will say though that I liked the emphasis on the scholarship trip to the Galapagos Islands. The book didn't take place in that area, but I thought the islands were described very well. Birds aside, I loved the descriptions of all the strange creatures inhabiting the place. The author had me wanting to hop on a plane and head on down there.

Myra was amazing. I just loved her so freaking much. The girl is just super nice and can't help but want to give her a hug and be her best friend. Myra wasn't the overly aggressive and stubborn heroine of most books. She had more of a quiet sort of personality, but she wasn't boring at all. I felt terrible for her throughout the book. Her family life was chaotic to say the least. The poor girl seemed to have the weight of the world on her shoulders. I get why her parents put responsibility on her because god knows it can't be easy raising six kids. However, I felt like they were putting too much pressure on her. Myra is a doormat, she says so herself and it's obvious that she has heart, but the girl is incapable of saying no. Everyone was always expecting things of her and it got to the point where she was living her life for other people instead of for herself. Her life was kind of really crappy, but she never gave up and trudged through all the downs she faced. Not once did Myra ever verge into complaining overload. She wasn't one of those main characters who lay around crying and having pity parties for themselves. It was nice to watch her grow over the course of the book, grow a backbone and realize that sometimes she has to put herself first.

As for Myra's ex Erik, oh my god, I can't recall ever hating anyone as much as him. He's a terrible excuse for a human being. Now that I've read the book, I'm glad he dumped Myra because she deserves way better than the piece of scum he is. Erik always seemed to be cutting her down and making snide comments. All the people in the town pretty much think he's a golden boy. He manages to trick everyone with that charming facade of his, so no one realizes what a spoiled, selfish guy he is. He seemed fairly decent at the beginning of the book and I had no hard feelings towards him. I mean, why stay with someone if it isn't working out? After I read his reasoning for dumping her, I was so pissed and I found myself hoping someone would stab him and throw him in a pit of sharks. I don't what else to say about him without sounding redundant. The guy was a smarmy, creep that was using Myra and I was so freaking glad when she finally stood up to him. When it comes to Pete, I wasn't really into him either, but I was glad that he and Myra got together. I wanted Pete and Myra together, not because I loved Pete, but because she liked him and he made her happy. Pete was a nice guy, though I thought he was a bit weird sometimes and vaguely hippie-like. However, anyone Myra fell for would have seemed amazing compared to the piece of crap that was Erik.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Don't Fly.

02/28/2012 page 191