Julie's Reviews > Race Me in a Lobster Suit: Absurd Internet Ads and the Real Conversations that Followed

Race Me in a Lobster Suit by Kelly Mahon

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, e-book, humor, netgalley, non-fiction

Race Me in a Lobster Suit by Kelly Mahon is a 2019 Quirk Books publication.

If you know anything about Quirk Books, you know to expect the unexpected. This book, however, almost goes beyond the pale.

I’m pretty picky about humor or comedy in movies, television and books, having long outgrown base humor, or anything too silly, which is most comedy is today. But, because this book is supposed to feature actual correspondence, the human element enticed me to take the bait.

I worked for the public all my life, so I know how people can be. After many years of witnessing so many insane human behaviors, I commonly boasted that nothing could possibly surprise me anymore. In fact, on more than one occasion, a friend or relative suggested I write down all my experiences and publish them. Of course, my experiences were not choreographed in anyway, but now I’m thinking these situations may not translate so well in print.

But, if the outlandish conversations relayed in this book are indeed true, and the author is not pulling a gag on us, which I suspected on more than one occasion, it proves that truth is stranger than fiction, and the next time I read a book and start to question the realism or plausibility of it, I will remind myself of this book.

Despite the bizarre-o set-up, some of these e-mail conversations did make me chuckle. They also horrified and mystified me. It is scary, and maybe a little sad too, that people responded to these ads. No matter how desperate I was financially, could I consider doing something so outrageous- like being hired to tickle someone, for example.

However, according to the author, the emails printed here were done so with the permission of those who answered the ads. So, I guess they must have a self- deprecating sense of humor, or maybe they were offered compensation- who knows.

Bottom line-

I was amused to some extent, but mostly I found it a tad disturbing. I’m not sure what that says about MY sense of humor- but I did try to see the appeal and humor here. For the most part, though, this type of gag/prank humor doesn’t really appeal to me. It was just a little too silly for my taste.

On a more positive note, I think this author does have a knack for coming up with quick witted comebacks. It is possible she could find a niche in improvisation or comedy writing, but perhaps it would be best not use real people to experiment on.

3 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Race Me in a Lobster Suit.

March 24, 2019 – Started Reading
March 24, 2019 – Shelved
March 24, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
March 24, 2019 – Shelved as: e-book
March 24, 2019 – Shelved as: humor
March 24, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 24, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
April 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen That’s an excellent review Julie, very interesting 😊💕

Julie Maureen wrote: "That’s an excellent review Julie, very interesting 😊💕"

Thank you, dear Maureen!! 😁💕

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Great review Julie ......... I know what you mean, going all out for the ultimate laugh can render the gag/ prank less funny ......

Julie Richard wrote: "Great review Julie ......... I know what you mean, going all out for the ultimate laugh can render the gag/ prank less funny ......"

Thank you, Richard! Everyone who was 'punked', so to speak, took it well, I suppose. I don't think the author meant it to be mean spirited, but at times it went too far. 😕

message 5: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Fantastic honest review Julie! I think I’ll pass on it but I love your thoughts!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review, Julie! Hope your next one is amazing. 🌺❤🌺

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Fab review Julie😊

message 8: by KAS (new)

KAS Many people’s sense of humor have me shaking my head most of the time, too, Julie! Sorry this was a bit silly of a read for you :( Excellent, thoughtful review!! 🌸💕🌸

message 9: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Wonderful review, Julie! Sorry this one didn't work for you

Julie Susanne wrote: "Fantastic honest review Julie! I think I’ll pass on it but I love your thoughts!"

Thank you, dear Susanne!! 😊🤗💕

Julie Mackenzie wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! Sorry this one didn't work for you"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! 💕🤗😊

Julie KAS wrote: "Many people’s sense of humor have me shaking my head most of the time, too, Julie! Sorry this was a bit silly of a read for you :( Excellent, thoughtful review!! 🌸💕🌸"

Thank you so much, KAS!! 😊🤗💕

Julie Lisa wrote: "Fab review Julie😊"

Thank you, Lisa!! 💕🤗😊

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! Hope your next one is amazing. 🌺❤🌺"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 😊🤗💕

message 15: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Captivating review, Julie! I can definitely see that this one would hit my "irk button", too! 😉❤

Julie Jaline wrote: "Captivating review, Julie! I can definitely see that this one would hit my "irk button", too! 😉❤"

Thank you, Jaline! Offbeat usually right up my alley, but this one is just a little too weird, and the humor seems to come at the expense of others. 😕

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina Nice, honest review Julie!

message 18: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson Fantastic review Julie! Humour is a difficult one! I don’t like humour at other people’s expense either. 💖💕

JV ❄️☃️❄️ Fabulous write-up, dear Julie! Hope your next one is better! 🤗

Julie Tina wrote: "Nice, honest review Julie!"

Thank you, Tina!! 🤗💖

Julie Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Humour is a difficult one! I don’t like humour at other people’s expense either. 💖💕"

Thank you, Nicola!! It did make me feel uncomfortable. 💖

message 22: by Julie (last edited Apr 08, 2019 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julie JV ❄️☃️❄️ wrote: "Fabulous write-up, dear Julie! Hope your next one is better! 🤗"

Thank you, JV!! Already on to the next!! 🤗😊💕

message 23: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fantastic review, Julie! Sorry you didn’t fully enjoy.!

message 24: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Julie, probably not for me either !

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! Sorry you didn’t fully enjoy.!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊😊

Julie Angela M wrote: "Julie, probably not for me either !"

No, I can't say I'd feel comfortable recommending this one. 😕

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly I'm personally not a fan of humor that requires making fun of another person who is unwittingly part of the joke. Pass. Thanks for the review/warning.

Julie Holly wrote: "I'm personally not a fan of humor that requires making fun of another person who is unwittingly part of the joke. Pass. Thanks for the review/warning."

Thank you, Holly! I can't recommend this one on those grounds. 🤗

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy The problem I see is, if someone responds to the ad, that means they want the gig. They probably need the money. It's kind of mean to waste their time. Even if it "should" be evident that it's a joke.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Julie, you read such an interesting range of fiction and non-fiction. I would agree with you that it is hard to believe that people respond to outrageous ads on the internet. Some people seem to be so isolated and desperate that they put themselves in harms way like that. I find that we have to so careful about social media.
I don't post on Twitter or Instagram because I just don't have the time to be on media all day long. I am so thankful for Goodreads: we can chat and find out about new (or old) books and share our love of reading. I might check this book out if it is available at my library. Thanks so much for the excellent and thorough review, Julie.

Julie Amy wrote: "The problem I see is, if someone responds to the ad, that means they want the gig. They probably need the money. It's kind of mean to waste their time. Even if it "should" be evident that it's a joke."

Apparently they did need the money- badly! If you saw some of these emails.. Some people were skeptical, but some took it very seriously- and I thought is was a little mean. This was a really strange book, even for me. 🤗💕

Julie Susan's Reviews wrote: "Julie, you read such an interesting range of fiction and non-fiction. I would agree with you that it is hard to believe that people respond to outrageous ads on the internet. Some people seem to be..."

Thank you, Susan! I promote books on social media, but then make a quick exit. Too stressful for me. Goodreads is the safest place on the internet for me- most of the time, at least. If you find a copy, let me know what you thought of this one! 💕🤗

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Great review, Julie. I’m sorry it wasn’t better for you.

Julie Jennifer wrote: "Great review, Julie. I’m sorry it wasn’t better for you."

Thank you, Jennifer!! 💕🤗