Julie's Reviews > The River

The River by Peter Heller

bookshelves: e-book, mystery-shelf, adventure, 2020, thrillers

The River by Peter Heller is a 2019 Knopf Publishing Group publication.

An intense adventure between man and nature amidst a battle between good and evil…

Two close friends, Wynn and Jack, one from Vermont and the other from Colorado, each with different temperaments, decide to canoe the Maskwa River in northern Canada. They have dreams of taking it slow and easy, kicking back and enjoying nature at its finest.

However, a wildfire changes the tone of their trip, adding a sense of unease that intensifies when, after hearing a couple arguing, they attempt to warn them of the fire, but can’t seem to locate them in the fog. The next day they encounter a man paddling alone on the river, who claims his wife has gone missing.

From there Wynn and Jack find themselves in a taut, dangerous situation as they search for the missing woman, while the wildfire builds to a crescendo.

Wow! Talk about white knuckle suspense! This book is less than three hundred pages long, but sometimes the best things come in small packages.

The story is packed with exceptional and stunning scenery one can truly envision, and the characterizations are just incredible. I understood fully the different personalities Wynn and Jack possessed, how they each had definite and strong opinions about how to approach their unexpected dilemma. The precision timing carries the story from a relaxed excursion to a nightmarish race against time with exceptional pacing that kept me on the edge of seat.

I would agree the story could and should be labeled as a thriller, but it’s much more than that. So much happens in such a short span of time, it isn’t until the final chapter that one has the chance to really stop an reflect on all events leading up to that moment, and how quickly one’s life can drastically change.

The deep emotional impact remains long after the final page is turned. This thought- provoking story was released in 2019 and the message was clear and profound enough at that time. Everyday life poses at least some risk and can turn on a dime, as we have witnessed in the past few weeks, making an already disquieting story about coping with random, unforeseen events feel even more timely than usual.

I’m pushing the ‘recommend’ button on this one.

All the stars for this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The River.

March 24, 2019 – Shelved
April 26, 2019 – Shelved as: adventure
March 21, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020
March 21, 2020 – Shelved as: thrillers
March 21, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)

message 1: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Excellent review, Julie xx

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Excellent review, Julie xx"

Thank so much, Paromjit!! 🌼

message 3: by Tinichix (new) - added it

Tinichix (nicole) This sounds great! Great review.

Julie Tinichix wrote: "This sounds great! Great review."

Thank you very much!! I had high hopes for it, but it exceeded my expectations. 🌼

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Great review! May look into it later. Right now I need something lighter. Lol

Julie Amy wrote: "Great review! May look into it later. Right now I need something lighter. Lol"

Thank you, Amy! Totally understandable. I hope you are taking care and staying well. 🤗

message 7: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Fantastic review Julie ❤️

message 8: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Terrific review, Julie!! Has been on my TBR for a while- will try and bump it up.

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Fantastic review Julie ❤️"

Thank you very much, Ceecee!! 🌼

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Terrific review, Julie!! Has been on my TBR for a while- will try and bump it up."

Thank you, Antoinette!! I'd love to hear your opinion of this one!! 🌼

message 11: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!🤗💜

Linda Great review, Julie. Loved this one so much. A 5-Star for me, too. ;)

Karen Yay!! I’m so happy that you loved this one! It was thrilling, and so much more! Terrific review, Julie!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!🤗💜"

Thank you very much, Kaceey!! 💖

Julie Linda wrote: "Great review, Julie. Loved this one so much. A 5-Star for me, too. ;)"

Thank you so much, Linda!! It was worth every star- and then some! 💖

Julie Karen wrote: "Yay!! I’m so happy that you loved this one! It was thrilling, and so much more! Terrific review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Karen!! I was on the edge of my seat!! What a story! 💖

message 17: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Great review, Julie! I've got it on my list and looking forward to it :)

Julie Candi wrote: "Great review, Julie! I've got it on my list and looking forward to it :)"

Thank you very much, Candi!! I think you will like this one a lot! Happy reading! 🌼

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina A fab review Julie! 😁

message 20: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn WOW! Sounds good! Great review, Julie!

message 21: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Great review, Julie.

Julie Tina wrote: "A fab review Julie! 😁"

Thank you very much, dear Tina! Hope you are hanging in there- stay safe! 💖

Julie Carolyn wrote: "WOW! Sounds good! Great review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, dear Carolyn!! 💖

Julie Katie wrote: "Great review, Julie."

Thanks so much, Katie!!💖

Brenda -Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Julie!

Julie Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Brenda!! 💖

message 27: by James (new) - added it

James Field Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds good!

message 28: by Bobbi (new) - added it

Bobbi This seems like such a unique book. Just added it to my to-read list!

message 29: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Great review..and I love how you tied it into our new “today”. I’m looking forward to reading this one!

Julie James wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds good!"

It will go on my favorites list I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Julie Bobbi wrote: "This seems like such a unique book. Just added it to my to-read list!"

Thank you, Bobbi! It is a very unique book- very well written. I hope you enjoy it! Happy reading! 🌼

Julie Katy wrote: "Great review..and I love how you tied it into our new “today”. I’m looking forward to reading this one!"

Thank you, Katy!! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one! 🌼

message 33: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Glad you enjoyed it Julie, this sounds good! Great review :)

Julie Brandice wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Julie, this sounds good! Great review :)"

Thanks so much, Brandice!! 🌼

message 35: by Yun (new)

Yun Wow such a ringing endorsement! So glad you loved it, Julie! Terrific review! :)

Julie Yun wrote: "Wow such a ringing endorsement! So glad you loved it, Julie! Terrific review! :)"

Thank you very much, Yun!! 🌼

message 37: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie! Your review reminded me that this book has been on my tbr for far too long--I need to bump it way up!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! Your review reminded me that this book has been on my tbr for far too long--I need to bump it way up!"

Thank you, Meredith!! It is worth the wait- I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!💖

message 39: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Fantabulous review Julie!!💋😉💖👍

Julie Kat wrote: "Fantabulous review Julie!!💋😉💖👍"

Thank you very much, Kat!! 💖

message 41: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle This one wasn't on my radar but now it is. Wonderful review, Julie! 💗

Julie Michelle wrote: "This one wasn't on my radar but now it is. Wonderful review, Julie! 💗"

Thank you, Michelle!! Hope you enjoy it! Happy reading! 💖