BookOfCinz's Reviews > Dear Ijeawele; or, A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions

Dear Ijeawele; or, A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Timely and necessary

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie childhood friend who recently had a baby girl wrote to her asking for advice on how to raise her daughter to be a feminist. Dear Ijeawele; 0r a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions is what Adichie wrote in response and what a beautiful response it was. The advice contained in this manifesto is real, honest, practical, filled with love and a necessary read for all.

While reading this book I couldn't help but think, EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK . So many things we take for granted were covered in this book. This is a book I will keep revisiting and it is a book I want every single young girl to read. What stood out for me were:

Never speak of marriage as an achievement. Find ways to make clear to her that marriage is not an achievement, nor is it what she should aspire to. A marriage can be happy or unhappy, but it is not an achievement.
It is sad that this had to be said but I feel like a lot of persons think marriage is an achievement and it is not. It is crazy how people get worked up over this.

So many great advice I contained in this book, it is definitely a book I will be revisiting often. I leave you with another favorite advice.

Teach her to reject likeability. Her job is not to make herself likeable, her job is to be her full self, a self that is honest and aware of the equal humanity of other people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Ijeawele; or, A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions.

March 24, 2019 – Started Reading