Jessica (a GREAT read)'s Reviews > Immunity

Immunity by Erin Bowman

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

Readers will be happy to learn that Erin Bowman's Immunity picks up right where we left things at the end of Contagion! I binge read this duology, which, let me tell you, was the best idea ever, and it was so much easier to flow through the story that way! While Contagion had its edge of mystery, Immunity is rife with suspense!

Coen and Thea are now prisoners of Lieutenant Burke who plans to experiment on them in order to create the perfect soldiers so that he can, in essence, control the galaxy. Time moves much slower this time around, as several weeks go by and all the while Coen and Thea are trying to figure out a way to escape, but escape for these powerful teens is nearly impossible with the impenetrable fortress that Burke has them locked away in.

Immunity was way more exciting than I had anticipated! I wasn't sure how Erin would be able to top Contagion in terms of suspense and excitement, but she really steps up her game in this one! While this time around we know all about the contagion and how it infects people who are too old, that teenagers are the ideal candidates to take it on and not be turned into a rabid monster. Burke soon learns all this through studying them both and has plans to make for his own teenage army that will be unstoppable. But I got to tell you, she really nailed it with this one! While we no longer have that mystery, the suspense is pretty much spot on as we watch Coen and Thea try to break out of the impossible prison.

They are not alone though, joining them again is Nova and a new character, Amber, who is actually in the "fortress" with Coen and Thea acting as a nurse of sorts to Nova. We still get the multiple points of view, this time it's just, Thea, Coen, Nova, and Amber; I feel like this makes the story more contained and easier to follow as the two pairs are together for the most part and this lets us see what's happening on all sides of the "fortress." There is once again the mystery point of view, but we actually know who this is rather early on and I was quite happy to have another mystery solved before the story concluded.

For those who found Contagion lacking in the romance area, never fear for Immunity has what we were all pining for to begin with! Thea and Coen develop a relationship naturally, as we saw this coming even in Contagion. It was nice to see how things developed based on their circumstances. It was one of those sweet kind of relationships that wasn't all in your face about the characters being desperate to be in the other's arms either. And, let's just say that it wasn't only the relationship in the works either!

Immunity was the non-stop thrill ride you pretty much expected from Erin Bowman! It was yet another book that kept me turning the pages and wishing the world would just be quiet and let me read! Lol. While this was my first series by Erin Bowman, it certainly won't be my last! If you're looking for a nice short series that is thrilling, a little scary at times, and just overall amazing, this will be on duology you'll need to add to your TBR pile ASAP!

Overall Rating 4.5/5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immunity.

March 23, 2019 – Shelved