Lucy's Reviews > The Failing Hours

The Failing Hours by Sara Ney

bookshelves: contemporary, kindle-unlimited, m-f-romance, new-adult, talk-dirty-to-me

My parents must have known from the beginning that I was going to be a sinner—that’s why it sounds like they named me after two books of the Bible. Lord knows I’m no saint.

It's been over 2 years since I first read The Studying Hours, which was a book I really enjoyed, so i'm glad I finally got round to reading this one but I have no ideas why it's taken me so long! This isn't an angsty book but it's definitely not quite as light and fun as the first one.

I think i'm in the same boat as other readers when I say I had no idea how Sara Ney was going to take king of the douchebags Zeke that we met in The Studying Hours and make him into a dreamy book boyfriend but she managed it. I think the reason it worked so well is because she never tried to make Zeke perfect, we get to see a softer side but it's still clear even at the end that he just is a bit of an asshole. He is angry at the world and has a tendency to treat people like shit to their faces, but he does often go out of his way to do nice things for others without them noticing. He was such a well-written character, I think Ney did a great job of making him into a very realistic, complex character.

This is definitely a case of opposites attract as our heroine, Violet, is the complete opposite of Zeke. She is a quiet girl who works in the library, as a tutor and enjoys spending her time with the little girl she babysits. She is sunshine and goodness. Violet has had a hard life and is just trying to do her best to get by so she's tougher than she appears and she's not letting Zeke walk all over her. She makes it clear to him that she deserves respect and won't accept anything less.

I loved these two together. This series is looking to be one of the best NA romance series out there, and I can't wait to see what the other books are like as I have no doubt they'll be just as brilliant. I'm definitely not gonna leave it as long this time before I carry on to the next one!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Failing Hours.

March 21, 2019 – Started Reading
March 22, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 23, 2019 – Shelved
March 23, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 23, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-unlimited
March 23, 2019 – Shelved as: m-f-romance
March 23, 2019 – Shelved as: new-adult
March 23, 2019 – Shelved as: talk-dirty-to-me

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana Fantastic review, Lucy! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Lucy Diana wrote: "Fantastic review, Lucy! I am glad you enjoyed it."

Thanks so much Diana! ❤