Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader's Reviews > Ask Me Anything

Ask Me Anything by Molly E. Lee

bookshelves: from-publisher, physical-books-i-own

I have to mention how much I love this cover first.  I'm not a huge fan of covers with people, but the coding all over makes this one really stand out to me.

I also want to mention WARNINGS first because some of the issues will be discussed in my review and I don't want anyone hurt.  Warnings for sexual assault, teenage pregnancy, blackmail, somewhat abusive behavior, parents/teachers not wanting to teach about safe sex and shaming teens who have sex, birth control, relationship issues, trust issues, hacking/dark web, language, and a lot of sexual content.

I really liked this book.  I'm a huge fan of any book with a strong female who speaks out against injustices.  Especially when it's a sex positive book and doesn't shame teens that have sex.  Yes, the principal and some parents do, but Amber does what she can to let people know that talking about it helps and telling teens not to, just makes them want to do it more.  And it won't stop them.  It's been quite awhile since I've been a teen, but I know we always found ways.

The book is told in two POV.   Amber and Dean.  It not only includes their thoughts, but there are also blog posts and texts throughout the book.  Amber and Dean are both hackers.  They've been friends for awhile, but never more.  Amber dated a popular football player for a year.  He ended up trying to force himself on her at a party and she withdrew a lot.  Only her best friends and parents knew what happened.  She was ashamed and didn't want to date anyone.  But things changed as she spent more time with Dean.  He really got her, challenged her, and she learned to trust him.

The principal of their school was a horrible human being.  During his annual video about not having sex, there is a prank pulled.   Amber and Dean decided to compete against each other in some type of hack that also got back at the principal.  Amber made a secret blog for teens to write in with sex questions.  The principal freaks out and blackmails Dean to find out who is writing it.  Dean finds out that the principal blackmails students a lot.  He works on finding out who it is, but didn't want to tell the principal when he found out.  Amber kept it from him.

Amber's blog was incredible.  I can't describe how much I wish something like that was around when I was a teen.  I'm going to age myself by saying I was class of 1995.  We weren't using the internet and just had basic computer classes.  There was no way I was asking my mom or dad about sex stuff.  Luckily my mom put me on the pill at 15 to be safe.  But that was it.  We had the talk when I was young, but no one ever really talks to you about all the real questions you have.  I somewhat talked to friends, but not a lot.  I was thrilled when a friend trusted me enough to ask a very personal how to question her freshmen year of college.  I realized then how hard it could be to talk about sex issues.  Not birth control so much, but everything else.  I know that going to a school like the one in the book wouldn't have stopped me from having sex with my boyfriend at 15.  But having a place to ask questions without giving my name would have helped so much.

I loved both Amber and Dean.  Amber's parents were some of the best YA parents I've read.  And Dean had such an amazing sibling relationship with his brother and sister.  While the book's main focus wasn't on family, it was definitely a big part of the story.  Especially Dean's younger sister.

Dean was pretty much the perfect boyfriend.  Things did go bad towards the end, but I understood why he acted the way he did.  I loved the "assembly" towards the end and the glimpse into a year later.

This book has some serious topics.  I want to share one quote that really stood out to me.  It's something that we still hear way too much.  Do not read quote if you have any triggers from sexual harassment or assault.

"You were my girlfriend," he said, his tone sharper.  "You weren't supposed to say no to me.  Besides," he said, shrugging, "everyone knows girls say no just to play hard to get for a few minutes, before that no turns into a yes."

If you are a teen or young adult reading this, please know that you owe your significant other nothing.  You can say no and no means no.  Always.  If you're dating someone who thinks like the ass above, please get out of that relationship.  It's sad how long it took for people to accept that a man can rape his wife.  And these thoughts are still common with crappy people.

I gave this book 4  1/2 stars rounded up to 5 on goodreads.  Thank you to Entangled Teen for sending me a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ask Me Anything.

March 23, 2019 – Shelved