Emily's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Feb 11, 2012

bookshelves: supernatural, science-fiction, warm-fuzzies, favorites, fairy-tales, series
Read 2 times. Last read February 5, 2013 to March 11, 2013.

I just looked to see when the next installment of the Lunar Chronicles was to be expected and was horrified that I would have to painfully and impatiently wait until 2013! Cinder was an amazingly original and enthralling retelling of a beloved fairytale.

Firstly, what sets this rendition of Cinderella apart from the hundreds of others?

1. Cinder, our heroine, is a cyborg living in New Beijing, post WWIV (obviously this is a futuristic novel), and working as a mechanic.

2. Throw in the addition of a plague even more devastating than the Bubonic Plague into the mix. Yes, more devastating than the Bubonic Plague. It affects the entire planet.

3. Reminding me much of the classic Snow White, this retelling of Cinderella introduces a tyrannical queen.

4. Did I mention the tyrannical queen is a Lunar, a race living on Earth's moon?

5. Did I mention she has brainwashing powers? And that she is tyrannical?

I've read my fair share of Cinderella stories, as I really like the fairytale. This one immediately became my favorite. The originality alone pulled at my favoritism, but the characters were also each well-developed individuals. The prince, Prince Kai, epitomizes what I love in my fictional men--kind with a sense of humor. And Cinder herself is very easy to relate to, despite being part machine. Throughout the entire book I was sad when she was sad, nervous when she was nervous, and I wanted her to have a happy ending so desperately (not saying she did or didn't, just supporting that she was very likeable).

In case it was not already made clear in the rest of my review, I loved Cinder. It is a beautiful combination of fantasy, fairytale, mystery, science-fiction, and romance. How often do those genres coincide with each other?

Has Cinder piqued your interest yet?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

Finished Reading
March 10, 2013 –
page 173
March 11, 2013 – Finished Reading
March 30, 2013 – Shelved as: series

Angel B Started this tonight! Excited to see you liked it so much!

Emily Angel wrote: "Started this tonight! Excited to see you liked it so much!"

I really did love this book. I think you'll enjoy it a lot too, considering we like a lot of the same types of books!