Marcie Robinson's Reviews > A Contract Seduction

A Contract Seduction by Janice Maynard

liked it

“A Contract Seduction” is book two of Janice Maynard’s Southern Secrets series and is the story of Jonathan Tarleton and Lisette Stanhope.

In book one (“Blame it on Christmas”), we heard about Jonathan’s headaches and, in this book, we learn the reason behind them.
Jonathan needs Lisette to protect his family’s company, Tarleton Shipping, after he is gone. Lisette, who’s been his assistant for years, is also in love with him. She puts her own plans on hold to cater to Jonathan, something she did when she cared for her mother.
Their marriage of convenience is supposed to be about business until their hearts become entangled and Lisette wants more than they agreed to.

A hero on his death bed is definitely intriguing with wondering how the story will play out (it is a romance with the expected HEA after all), but for some reason I was disappointed with the final explanation. It just seemed too cliched for me, though I do realize how else could it have been explained?
There were also a few scenes with Lisette where I felt her behavior was inconsistent and she acted out of character—during their honeymoon and more so near the end.

Overall, the writing is intelligent and descriptive, and it pains me to say this, but “A Contract Seduction” isn’t one of my favorite books by Ms. Maynard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Contract Seduction.

March 23, 2019 – Shelved