Yvette (bookworlder)'s Reviews > Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass

Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass by Heather Day Gilbert

liked it

Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass is the first in author Heather Day Gilbert's new Exotic Pet-Sitter cozy mystery series. When I first heard of the series, I was drawn in by the description, warmed up to it a bit more by the fantastically fun cover, but hooked because of the author. Having thoroughly enjoyed her Viking historical novels, I was definitely up for giving her new cozy contemporary mystery a try. And what fun I had "trying" it, right up to the very end.

Belinda isn't the happily married, successful Blake sister on the cusp of motherhood. No, she's the Doc Marten-wearing, video game reviewing one who is less socially adept. But she has lucked into a rare rental, a carriage house in upper class Greenwich Connecticut. Perfect for her endeavors as an exotic pet-sitter, but when murder occurs in her back yard, Belinda is quickly out of her element in dealing with the family from the main house.

Investigating the murder with the help of the scion of the Carrington family, Belinda finds that her pluck and doggedness are brought to the fore. Her investigation is interesting and entertaining, as her current exotic charge comes into play and more than one possible romantic interest (and future opportunities to explore those possibilities as the series continues) is introduced.

Belinda is just off-center enough to be awkwardly relatable and the various suspects and other players, including the pets in Belinda's charge, add variety, interest, and keep the plot hopping.
A very enjoyable start to a new series and I'm looking forward to reading more. If you are a fan of contemporary cozy mysteries, the Exotic Pet-Sitter series might well become a new favorite. Along with the fun titles and adorable covers, it’s a light read with just the right amount of depth and heart.

This review refers to a digital galley read through NetGalley, courtesy of Kensington Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass.

March 23, 2019 – Shelved