Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks's Reviews > Ache

Ache by S.M. Soto

***ARC received in exchange of an honest opinion***

I was very excited to read Ache. It's my first book by S.M. Soto, but unfortunately I couldn't get into it.

Not for the subject matter (I've read a lot of other books that deal with what this one does), but I was unable to connect with any of the characters, specially Bea, the heroine.

What she goes through for years is unspeakable and I get her behavior, but unfortunately for me the writing didn't make her relatable.

The way the story is told was also a bit confusing to me, but there was a certain point in the story that really make me realize I wouldn't like it. When Bea makes a new friend (Melody), said friend knows what she's been trough and when Bea confesses everything Melody tells her to liv like what happened to her was just a simple heartbreak. She didn't tell her friend (afte being through something similar) to look fo rhelp, she knows the nightmares she has tosuffer eveeyday and she treats it like it's nothing.

That was careless in this kind of book. I understand people go through things in different ways, but in a book like this Melody's behavior is inexcusable to me. And after that, the story that was already flat for me, completely flatlined. I didn't feel the pull from the beginning and it wa hard for me to finish the book.

The story is told in a rushed way and that made me connect with it, and the characters, much more difficult. Some things were l left out to just be brought back at random times or in the end. I feel like the story as a whole wasn't wrapped up tightly and there were lose ends on every corner for me.

No every book is for everyone and we all feel the stories differently, sowhat for me wasn't relatable or what I didn't like other readers may like. I think this story had a lot of potential, but for me it didn't uite reach there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ache.

March 23, 2019 – Started Reading