Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)'s Reviews > The Last Witch

The Last Witch by M.J. Lawrie

liked it

description
description Ugh...an amazing book ruined by (view spoiler) Up until 65% this book was going to be a 5 Star read. Then BAM...the hero (view spoiler) Because of that I won't be bothering with the next book...

However, if you have no issues with the above spoiler, then this was a fantastic book. The writing was great. The plot was original. The characters intriguing. Such a shame the author felt the need to add (view spoiler)

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Witch.

March 22, 2019 – Shelved
March 22, 2019 – Shelved as: may-arcs-to-review
May 10, 2019 – Started Reading
May 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Kate's Corner This looks really good

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Kate's Corner wrote: "This looks really good"

Ya, I thought so! The author contacted me for a review, and it intrigued me!

Kate's Corner Enjoy

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Kate's Corner wrote: "Enjoy"

Hey girlie. I am not sure you'd like this one after all. Check out my review! :(

message 5: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review babe xx

Kate's Corner Sorry it was a bust hun. Not an option for me either.

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Judith wrote: "Great review babe xx"

Thank you! <3

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Kate's Corner wrote: "Sorry it was a bust hun. Not an option for me either."

I didn't think it would be. It ruined what was an awesome book and wasn't necessary (IMO). Especially with her past and having that exact thing happen to her already and not 24 hours after they finally had sex...sigh. Talk about ruining the romance angle. (lol)

Kate's Corner I don't know why authors do it.

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Ya, I just wish she had choosen some other way for him to act than have him (view spoiler)

message 11: by M.J. (new) - added it

M.J. Lawrie Hello. I just wanted to say thank you for the review and your kind word,s Eve. But also to defend my character (because I think he deserves it) and so people can decide for themselves if they believe he “cheated”.
SPOILER AHEAD ...
Our hero is told to sleep with a woman by the leader of his coven after telling him that he has fallen in love with our main character. Which he says no to. The leader (who wants his one true love for himself) then threatens to lock up our main character, force her to produce children for him, kill her best friend and torture him and his best friend for the rest of their lives if he refuses to do the deed (because the leader of the coven wants her for himself and wants to destroy their relationship to try and win her over.) He does it as he has no other choice and is desperate to protect our main character. The act destroys our hero. He is heart broken and disgusted with himself at his actions but only did this to save everyone else. Our main character forgives him because she was also forced to be physical with someone in her past in order to keep herself safe from people that would hurt her much worse. So she understands and sees him for what I also see him as. A victim. He was forced to be with another person physically even though he made it clear and begged his brother (the coven leader) not to make him do it. To me (personally) that is not cheating. But I completely respect your right to feel that it is. And like I said, I am grateful for the time you took to read and review my book. I love your reviews. I just wanted to make sure no one refuses to read my book because of a cheater in the story without knowing the reason why he did what he did. M J Lawrie :)

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Awesome review Eve!💖💋

message 13: by Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) (last edited May 12, 2019 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Kat wrote: "Awesome review Eve!💖💋"

Thanks, Love! <3

message 14: by Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) (last edited May 12, 2019 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) M.J. wrote: "Hello. I just wanted to say thank you for the review and your kind word,s Eve. But also to defend my character (because I think he deserves it) and so people can decide for themselves if they belie..."

I think it is great you want to explain so readers get a clearer picture of the events, but by saying you feel the need to "defend" your character you imply that "MY" feelings on the matter are wrong. It was cheating to "ME" and I know there will be others that feel the same way. We had already spoke about this via email, and I explained why I felt the way I did. I can't help but feel a little annoyed by your comment and the implication it projects...sigh.

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Also, just a suggestion, but you may want to put that whole thing in a spoiler tag so people can't see it and be spoiled. :D

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bottom line - if I was reading this and got to that plot point, I’d DNF and get my money back. That is drama I cannot deal with reading. Cheating or not.

message 17: by M.J. (new) - added it

M.J. Lawrie Yeah, it is a pretty dark book. Not for everyone unfortunately. But if you like a gritty dark fantasy that tackles tough subjects and has anti heroes, I think this is for you. If not, then beast to give it a pass :)

message 18: by Kate's Corner (new)

Kate's Corner Even the justification of why the Hero did what he did does not make it better IMO. Actually makes it worse. He should have had the balls and walked away. Couldn't he have just warlocked the problem away? Maybe I just don't get it.

message 19: by Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) (last edited May 13, 2019 06:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Kate's Corner wrote: "Even the justification of why the Hero did what he did does not make it better IMO. Actually makes it worse. He should have had the balls and walked away. Couldn't he have just warlocked the proble..."

Well, considering he had mind control ability, it left me wondering why he didn't use that. For me it boiled down to him having choices. Not good ones, but he still had them. He chooses to go through with it.

And, even funnier, I am VERY strict at what I label cheating. And this was 100% cheating (IMO) <-- you know, what reviews are meant to be...people's OWN opinions.

message 20: by Milica (new)

Milica M.J. wrote: "Hello. I just wanted to say thank you for the review and your kind word,s Eve. But also to defend my character (because I think he deserves it) and so people can decide for themselves if they belie..."

I, for one am glad, you tried to defend your characters actions (though this should have been obvious in the book itself)...but I think this is the wrong place. I, as a reader, would prefer it if you posted this on your SM or blog or whatever. Reviewer made her decision and that's it. I get that you're actually trying to influence future readers, but, again, wrong place. Practices like this are frowned upon in a reading community... and most of the authors, successful ones, will tell you to stay away from your book on GR. Since you're debut author, I get where you're coming from, but readers don't like to see author interfering with reviews and ratings in any way, not just this one. Wish you all the best in your future work!

Thanks to the poster for review!

message 21: by Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) (last edited May 13, 2019 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Yes, it was obvious he cheated. That was how "I" felt. Reading in subjective, and as such there was ZERO need for this author to "defend" ANYTHING. She gave me a copy and asked for an honest opinion, then she wants to imply that my opinion is wrong. It doesn't work that way. She either wants truth or someone to kiss her ass.

The rest of your comment is spot on though! 👍

message 22: by Kate's Corner (new)

Kate's Corner Milica wrote: "M.J. wrote: "Hello. I just wanted to say thank you for the review and your kind word,s Eve. But also to defend my character (because I think he deserves it) and so people can decide for themselves ..."

Fantastic post Millica.

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana Oh man, that sucks! Sorry for the bust, sweets.xx

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Diana wrote: "Oh man, that sucks! Sorry for the bust, sweets.xx"

Thanks, Love! <3 If it hadn't been for the cheating it would have probably gotten 5 Stars. *shrug*