Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > I Ain't Doin' It: Unfiltered Thoughts From a Sarcastic Southern Sweetheart

I Ain't Doin' It by Heather Land
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
11183856
's review

did not like it
bookshelves: audio, read-in-2019, liburrrrrry-book

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Before anyone gets it twisted and starts throwing the term “hater” at me or saying (once again) that I suck turtles, let’s get something real clear. I am the target demographic for this woman’s viral videos, can relate to allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of them and have been pushing her on my friends for years. When I heard she was branching out into an actual traveling stand-up show I couldn’t have been happier and I was also the one who forced the library into buying this audio book for my listening pleasure. That being said, I checked this out believing it would be a (welcome) extension of Heather Land’s fifteen minutes of fame. I would not have been disappointed if it was simply a regurge of all of her videos from hating pumpkin spice to people in PJs at the Wal-Mart – just minus the Snapchat filter, of course. At minimum I thought this would be hilarious. What I didn’t sign up for was some sort of mutant inspirational, motivational speaker type mumbo jumbo with nary even a chuckle to be found. To that I say . . . .


46 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Ain't Doin' It.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

March 22, 2019 – Shelved
March 22, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 16, 2019 – Started Reading
May 20, 2019 – Shelved as: audio
May 20, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
May 20, 2019 – Shelved as: liburrrrrry-book
May 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Valerie (Howler_Puff) When I disagree with people I'm now going to tell them to go suck turtles.


message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Damnit - I love this woman. She makes me laugh because her videos are so relatable. However, I had a huge feeling this would be a flop; I had this inkling in the back of my mind that it would be like Batdad and just not be as great.
However, to find out it has little to do with her humor is just truly disappointing. UGH


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Valerie (Howler_Puff) wrote: "When I disagree with people I'm now going to tell them to go suck turtles."

I'm not sure how effective it works as an insult since I embraced it so thoroughly ; )


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Courtney wrote: "Damnit - I love this woman. She makes me laugh because her videos are so relatable. However, I had a huge feeling this would be a flop; I had this inkling in the back of my mind that it would be li..."

The bad part is each chapter starts out with a title like "People at Wal-Mart" or "The Gyneclogist." Yet they all morph into how Jesus is her savior or a reminder that her "next marriage" will be a winner or how her children are just WONDERFUL. Ugh. Some things I truly believe: (1) Momma taught me to not talk politics or religion to a broad audience because it's just not worth it, (2) women who get divorced and then never stop talking about wanting a new husband aren't really going to help break the glass ceiling and (3) people who talk about their children too much are insufferable - get your own identity - and this goes double for people who use their kids in order to get internet famous (which she didn't do so why did she have to talk about how much she loooooooooves them and ruin my listening experience????).


message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea How disappointing for you, after you’ve been singing her praises!. Ugh.


message 6: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Kent Drat. I'll give this one a hard pass.


message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "The bad part is each chapter starts out with a title like "People at Wal-Mart" or "The Gynecologist." Yet they all morph into how Jesus is her savior or a reminder that her "next marriage" will be a winner or how her children are just WONDERFUL. Ugh. ..."

This would just piss me off as I am listening to it. I would have this huge expectation and to get the religious and all that other crap instead would have me poking my eyes out with a fork. It's so disappointing to hear that this is what her book is about.

I am 100% with on those 3 points - she needs to take her own advice on those things - "I ain't doin it" would've really come in handy every damn time she started babbling that crap.


message 8: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Sucks that it sucked.


message 9: by Melki (new)

Melki Ha! Sounds just like something a turtle-sucker would say!


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Andrea wrote: "How disappointing for you, after you’ve been singing her praises!. Ugh."

Luckily I have a great library, so the only thing it cost me was some time : )


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Alyson wrote: "Drat. I'll give this one a hard pass."

I can't say you'd be missing much : (


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Vivian wrote: "Sucks that it sucked."

Sucks indeed.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Melki wrote: "Ha! Sounds just like something a turtle-sucker would say!"

Right? That's why I post here instead of You Tube - it's hard to understand what I'm saying since I always have a turtle in my mouth.


Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ I've never even heard of this person. Must investigate.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy ⚓️ wrote: "I've never even heard of this person. Must investigate."

Her videos are pretty spot-on.


back to top