Shelley's Reviews > 21st-Century Yokel

21st-Century Yokel by Tom  Cox

I absolutely jumped at the chance to take part in the blog tour for 21st Century Yokel, I've heard many wonderful things about it and I thoroughly enjoyed Tom's short story collection Help the Witch  which I reviewed towards the end of last year.  So as I've been wanting to read it for such a long time, this seemed an opportunity too good to miss.  I absolutely adore the way Tom writes.  I follow him on Twitter, Instagram and via his website.  He comes across as funny and sensitive but with such a wise old head on his shoulders that I'm sure he is actually a very old soul.  His connection with nature is absolutely entrancing and whilst reading it almost feels as though I am wondering along beside him as he discovers the countryside that surrounds him.  He certainly doesn't see  through rose-tinted glasses but he notices things that, in this day and age, we are more often than not too darn busy to stop and appreciate.  21st Century Yokel is such an interesting book.  It's one that I want to linger over, take my time and enjoy each and every tale.  The images he invokes are incredibly powerful and I can almost see the witches' knickers blowing in the breeze or his dad lying in a starfish position talking VERY LOUDLY.  It is such an intimate book in some ways but it also looks at much bigger issues going on in the world.  His highly readable and beautiful prose brings together the historical detail, folklore and the challenges faced today with wit, and panache.  He reminds us that we are simply passing through in this world of ours.  It has been here much longer than we have and there are many tales to be told and retold.  If only the trees could talk! Tom, however, is possibly the next best thing.

I envy the source of inspiration for his writing. I too have a love of nature and find being outside incredibly healing, a great antidote to the madness that often surrounds us in day to day life.  For me the sound of birdsong in the morning is incredibly special and never fails to fill me with cheer and wonder.  The rare occasion when I hear an owl hoot is one to treasure.  Unfortunately for many of us the reality is that we don't spend as much time as we would like outside, so for me, reading Tom's writing is the perfect way to bring a little more of the natural wonder of our world, along with the magic and mystery into my life every day.  It also brings me new ways to look at my surroundings on the occasions when I am out and about.  And more than anything it makes me want to get out and explore, explore , explore my surroundings; to see the beauty in whatever part of the world we live in.  This would also be a wonderful book for any reader who, for whatever reason, are unable to get out walking.  Tom's writing will most certainly take you there.

This is a real treasure of a book and one that I will return to many times.  I urge you to read this and let yourself be swept away in the wonder and magic of the world we live in and the stories that Tom has to tell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 21st-Century Yokel.

Finished Reading