Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)'s Reviews > The Woman in the Dark

The Woman in the Dark by Vanessa Savage

it was ok
bookshelves: meh, women-author, suspense, dtcd-almost, not-a-thriller, pretty-artwork

I wanted to like The Woman in the Dark. A new women author writing gothic horror with a psychological thriller twist? That sounds like everything I love.
Unfortunately, I was let down somewhere in the middle of the novel when I realized they were really going to play out two of my least favorite tropes; the manipulative bastard trope and the mysterious dead baby.
I don't mind when the husband/boyfriend/lover is a manipulative bastard as long as the main character dealing with the bullshit grows into a strong badass, but that didn't really happen here. Instead, Sarah remained a "woman in the dark" up until the almost very end.
And I hate hate hate hate when books drag out a dead child (real or fake) for no real reason other than to shock., but that's probably just me with my complicated feelings about dead kids because I have one.🤷🤷🤷
Anyways, the writing was very descriptive and the setting was atmospheric and spooky, but it never really came fully around to be scary or creepy or thrilling. It was like a watered down daytime soap opera on the disney channel (because there's no gore or sex or excitement). "It's not me, it's you. Oh wait maybe it is me, but it might be you too" 🙄

For a debut, I thought the writing was expressive and there was a good idea there. I will read the author's next book because I'm a sucker for books with the gothic feel and I think she's only going to get better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in the Dark.

March 22, 2019 – Started Reading
March 22, 2019 – Shelved
March 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Andreia ❤The Butterfly Lover❤ (last edited Mar 27, 2019 04:04AM) (new)

Andreia ❤The Butterfly Lover❤ Great review! I am at almost 70% now and cannot stand the fact that, again, a dead child will have anything to do with the plot!! Seriously? Again?

Octavia (ReadsWithDogs) It's just not necessary to the story and overdone🙄