Ellen's Reviews > The Unsung Hero of Birdsong, USA

The Unsung Hero of Birdsong, USA by Brenda Woods

This book was much better than I expected when I first read the summary. I think I was most impressed by the main characters (12 year old Gabriel and Meriwether, an older black man who opens his eyes to racial injustices of the post WWII south) and the way the author really deftly portrayed how exposing children early to the truths of all the injustice in this world can really help change society. Any child who reads this has a very strong main character to look up to in Gabriel; always yearning to understand the truth, no matter how unfortunate it is. Adults who happen to read this will hopefully have a similarly powerful experience to mine, and maybe some will even be able to put its lessons to good use (because guess what...many of today's problems are motivated by the same stupidity and evil that caused the problems in this story, so the fight continues). Very glad I took the time to read this short, but emotionally powerful, story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unsung Hero of Birdsong, USA.

March 22, 2019 – Shelved