BookOfCinz's Reviews > All the Rage: Mothers, Fathers, and the Myth of Equal Partnership

All the Rage by Darcy Lockman

bookshelves: 2019-reads, books-to-read-before-30, debut, self-improvement, real-life-sh-t

….women who work outside of the home shoulder 65 percent of child care responsibilities and their male partners 35 per cent. Those percentages have held steady since the year 2000. In the last twenty years, that figure has not budged...

It is the year 2019 and women are still shouldering 65% child care responsibilities. On one hand I am not shocked because women tend to do a lot on the other hand it is sad that this is what is currently happening. I read this book in shock and awe. A lot of the women who were interviewed holds a lot of resentment towards their spouse because of their "inability" to help out around the house or with child care.

For some reason, reading this book enraged me. Most of the mothers said they got little help from the fathers even though they were doing a lot already. Something to note is that majority of these women held down full time jobs outside of the home. While some fathers held down the home and child care responsibilities, they were few and far between.

According to the research, there is actually no known human society in when men are responsible for the bulk of all childrearing. Cross-cultural anthropologists report that every part of the world... mothers are more involved than fathers with the care of their young.

It seems, it doesn't matter how well a partner you choose, women are left with the full time job of working outside the home and taking care of the home and the kids. In a 2018 report the United Nations estimated that women average 2.6 times the amount of housework and child care that men do... If you are going to have kids, take those figures into consideration.

Darcy Lockman brought to light some new information, but for the most part she confirmed what we see in society on a daily basis. I really wish those figures weren't so.

Thanks for the ARC Harperbooks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Rage.

March 22, 2019 – Shelved
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: debut
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: self-improvement
March 25, 2019 – Shelved as: real-life-sh-t
March 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Rachel | mrs.bennett.reads Ooh if you liked this one you should check out Drop the Ball by Tiffany Dufu. It's about a similar topic, but offers some practical solutions that have worked for her and her family - I really loved it!