Faith's Reviews > Walking to Aldebaran

Walking to Aldebaran by Adrian Tchaikovsky

bookshelves: netgalley, reviewed

“It had a dozen many-jointed legs, and I snapped them off and piled them up, a campfire just like my old scoutmaster taught me, and I used one of my shonky little jury-rigged pieces of nonsense to spark it into flames.” That is astronaut Gary Rendell in survival mode. He is part of the international crew of the Quixote. A probe was sent to look for other planets, but it found the Crypts instead. Rendell is now lost in the Crypts (a/k/a the Frog God a/k/a the artifact) after becoming separated from the rest of his crew mates. The Crypts are a gateway to other universes, but that means that any sentient life forms in those universes can also visit the Crypts and Rendell encounters several of them, including egg people, pyramid people and the intestine monster. Rendell also learns the lesson of being careful what you wish for.

This novella reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode, with a combination of humor, adventure, horror and surprises. I enjoyed the author’s writing style. It demonstrates intelligence, imagination and wit. This is the first book by him that I’ve read and it made me want to read more.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking to Aldebaran.

March 22, 2019 – Shelved
March 23, 2019 – Started Reading
March 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Phrynne Nice review Faith. I have only read one of his books Children of Time and it was SO good. He has written a lengthy series too which I intend to start as soon as I can:)

message 2: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Great review, Faith 💖

Faith Phrynne wrote: "Nice review Faith. I have only read one of his books Children of Time and it was SO good. He has written a lengthy series too which I intend to start as soon as I can:)"

Thanks Phrynne. I have Children of Time and I'm going to move it up on my list to read.

Faith Felicia wrote: "Great review, Faith 💖"

Thanks Felicia.