Yvonne's Reviews > Little Shop of Homicide

Little Shop of Homicide by Denise Swanson

Feb 11, 2012

Read from February 11 to 13, 2012

Devereaux Sinclair makes a few life-changing decisions. She quits her city job, after a huge scandal rocks her company, moves back to her small hometown in Missouri, Shadow Bend, and buys an old fashioned five-and-dime store. Dev is quite happy until her ex-boyfriend’s fiancé, Joelle, turns up dead. The murder weapon just happens to be items Dev used in a gift basket that Joelle purchased, making Dev the number one suspect.

With her father already serving time in prison, Dev has no desire to join him there. She’s just begun a new life in Shadow Bend and everything was going along so well. She, also, is the only one who can take care of her grandmother. Determined to clear her name, Dev seeks the help of her best friends Poppy and Boone to find out who the real killer is. Not to mention the handsome U.S. Marshall, Jake Del Vecchio, who just arrived in town willing to assist in the search.

There is, also, a secondary mystery which looks to be drawn through this series. Dev’s father is in prison for a crime he insists he didn’t do and intends to prove his innocence. It will be interesting to see what direction this goes.

One of my favorite things about this series is that it’s set in an old-fashioned five-and-dime store which made me feel very nostalgic.

Sometimes it takes awhile to get used to characters in a brand new series, but I didn’t find that with this book. By the end of the book, I felt as if I knew the main characters very well. The mystery had me going in several directions – choosing the wrong culprit every time. LOL

This is a fast-paced mystery with quite a bit of romance thrown into the mix. Toss in Dev’s matchmaking grandmother and readers have a great adventure in store for them.

Disclosure: A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Shop of Homicide.