L.B.'s Reviews > Off Planet

Off Planet by Aileen Erin

19369208

I've enjoyed all of Erin's past books and know she's an excellent writer, but this one was out-of-this-world good! The story revolves around Maite Martinez, a halfer--half Earther, half Aunare (alien) who spends her life on Earth hiding her other half from SpaceTech who seems to be everywhere and own everything and planning to move off-planet. But when she does leave, it's not in the way she wants nor is a benefit.

Normally I'm anti-alien stories, because they tend to be over-the-top and so fantastic in the literal sense of the word. This one had a truly believable society with a truly believable upper YA main character. I felt for her, and felt like I was in that futuristic society without having too much explained (I hate tell-don't-show authors). I was invested, reading well into the night (I'm an avid reader and still this one gripped me more than many others). The characters are vivid, the mystery intense--so many obstacles and twists that fit in the story smoothly and made me emotionally invested in Maite achieving her goals. It's also a lengthy book, making it worth your money (pet peeve of mine). I have been recommending this book to everyone and cannot wait for book 2; I'll be dropping whatever I'm in the middle of to snatch it when it comes out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Planet.

March 16, 2019 – Started Reading