PorshaJo's Reviews > East Meets Vegan: The Best of Asian Home Cooking, Plant-Based and Delicious

East Meets Vegan by Sasha Gill
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East Meets Vegan.

March 10, 2019 – Started Reading
March 21, 2019 – Shelved
March 21, 2019 – Shelved as: challenge
March 21, 2019 – Shelved as: challengereads
March 21, 2019 – Shelved as: challengereads-2019
March 21, 2019 – Shelved as: cookbooks
March 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Luffy (new)

Luffy The thing with plant based protein food, or pulses, is that you have to over cook them to make them tasty, otherwise they stay bland.

PorshaJo Luffy wrote: "The thing with plant based protein food, or pulses, is that you have to over cook them to make them tasty, otherwise they stay bland."

Sorry to hear that Luffy. I think if you have great sauces or seasonings it can really elevate the flavor.

message 3: by Luffy (new)

Luffy Agreed. :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I need this book!!!

message 5: by PorshaJo (last edited Mar 30, 2019 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

PorshaJo Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I need this book!!!"

If you love Asian food Melissa then you must check this one out. The photos are gorgeous too! Hope you check it out.

And thanks for the reminder....I need to write my review. :-)

message 6: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I am curious, both hubby and I are vegetarians, but stay away from tofu. So I was wondering if this cookbook contains many recipes using it? I have found that quite a few vegan ones tend to. I don't mind making substitutions, but also don't want to spend money on a book that is filled with recipes I might not be able to use. It's why I tend to purchase them in person first. But it sounds so appealing! 😁

message 7: by PorshaJo (last edited Apr 06, 2019 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

PorshaJo Jennifer wrote: "I am curious, both hubby and I are vegetarians, but stay away from tofu. So I was wondering if this cookbook contains many recipes using it? I have found that quite a few vegan ones tend to. I don'..."

I always get my cookbooks from my library to 'check them out' first before I decide to buy. I bought so many that after reading thru them really didn't appeal to me. Space is limited in my house so I need to be savvy now.

Now, this one I do think is heavy on the tofu. It also has quite a number of seitan and TVP recipes, which I don't care for either of them. Only one tempeh. On some of the tofu recipes, you can omit it - it's an addition to the soup, or rice, etc. But quite a number of dishes use it as a main. I'm a fan of Asian cooking so this one appeals to me as a 'nice to check out' and I know numerous recipes I'll need to make substitutions.

I can't say go out and buy this one. For me, I'll check it out of the library here and there, but I would not buy it. I don't see myself cooking from it a lot. I do have a number of vegan cookbooks and comparing this one, it's heavy on the tofu. Hope that helps!

message 8: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Thank you so much for the wonderful advice! I was afraid about the use of tofu and other soy products. A few recipes I don't mind, but an overabundance would cause me to probably pass.

I hope you enjoy the recipes that you have tried!