Janet's Reviews > Camp Shady Crook

Camp Shady Crook by Lee Gjertsen Malone

I was lucky enough to snag an ARC of this book!

In this super fun camp story, Archie Drake spends 6 weeks of every summer at Camp Shady Brook. It's an overstrict, run-down, poor excuse for a camp (not-so-fondly called Camp Shady Crook), but Archie has discovered the good side, too. Not only can he escape his unpopular, invisible self from back home, but he has discovered a talent for conning kids (only the rich ones) out of some of their spending cash. And it doesn't hurt that he happens to share a name with a well-known, ridiculously wealthy man. Archie takes his talent very seriously, and comes prepared every year to take advantage of as many kids as he can.

Everything is great until this year, when he finds another camper, Vivian, also trying to work the cons. When his attempt to scare her away doesn't work, they wind up as arch nemesis, fighting for control of the con at Camp Shady Brook.

Ms. Malone does such a great job bringer her two main characters to life. They both have in-depth backstories that make you want to cheer them on, and hope that they will end up in a happier place than they begin. She also really brings the setting to life. Camp Shady Crook is like a character all on its own. You see what it just might possibly be, and I found myself hoping that it, too, would get a renewed chance at life.

But what I really loved best about this book were the friendships. At the heart of the story, both Archie and Vivian need a friend. A good friend. But sometimes it's hard to see the things that are right in front of your nose. Our vision gets clouded because of preconceived notions, and this is very much the case with both Archie and Vivian.

I have no doubt kids will giggle their way through this fun romp at Camp Shady Crook!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camp Shady Crook.

March 19, 2019 – Started Reading