Karen's Reviews > Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy

Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom

190448

liked it

I had heard about this book in a different book and was so excited that I went off an immediately bought it with my audible account. But, as soon as I checked some of the reviews, I wasn't sure I wanted to read it after all. It looked like the author (therapist) was misogynistic, unlikeable, and judgmental. I considered putting it down before I even began.

But I am glad I didn't.

These stories were very interesting and unique and showed me the variety of lives/conundrums/problems people have in the world and I loved how the "cases" didn't always get resolved and even when they did, it sometimes wasn't really due to his help. One of the lessons I took away was that things can be really not what they seem and when people come to tell you their story, it's fully filtered through their interpretation of truth. Not the truth itself. I knew this already but there were some acute examples of this.

It was interesting to see how the therapist was thinking and how and where and when he chose to take action. How frustrated, flawed and wrong he could be. I really appreciated the vulnerability. Even if he was judgmental, most people are and they are just never willing to admit it. Maybe because I'd read the reviews, I was expecting it.

In the end it was a very interesting and unusual book and I am glad I read it. I can't say I loved it but I learned from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy.

March 21, 2019 – Shelved