Moonglum's Reviews > The Heroes

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

Feb 11, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in February, 2012

I loved the characters who each have well drawn out, real seeming psychologies. The culture of the northmen, with their name earning, interesting names, viking-esqe politics and social order was also quite cool. The book is also a nuanced meditation on war and, of course, on heroes. That's a neat thing for a swords and sorcery novel to do.

The world is a bit like the world of Conan, and self consciously so. Different earth cultures are reflected like shadows in the Abercrombie world.

One of my complains is that things were just not quite weird enough. I dug Stranger Come Knocking and the giants of Crimea. Bayaz and the southern sorceress have some interesting moments and lines of dialog, but its just not enough weirdness occurs for my taste. I know this is a book that is not about weirdness, but when I read gritty fantasy war novels, I also want stuff like in Glen Cooks Black Company or the like.

I was also not satisfied with the resolution of the conflict between Bayaz and the southern sorceress. We never find out what its really about, never lean what is happening with the sorceress at the end of the novel nor the nature of her little surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroes.