Jeanie's Reviews > Something Borrowed, Something Mewed

Something Borrowed, Something Mewed by Bethany Blake

U 50x66

bookshelves: obs

I really enjoyed this 5th Petsitting Mystery! The mystery itself is challenging, the characters and pets make the series what it is. I enjoyed visiting Sylvan Creek during the Fourth of July activities, and particularly loved Daphne Templeton's primary business of petsitting as well as her pet bakery.

Daphne's sister Piper and her fiance Roger and most of their wedding party are at Abigail Sinclair's Artful Engagements for their rehearsal dinner, at least until it is rained out. Abigail is THE wedding planner for the area despite some of her bizarre decorations and attire for the wedding party; Piper and Roger's mothers hired her to make the day special. And special it is. Abigail set up six wedding parties to marry at the same club, same day, without scheduling even one of them with the club. Upset brides, clergy, and guests were everywhere, but Abigail was nowhere in sight. Daphne had been hired again to sit with Ms. Peebles, Abigail's cat, beginning the day of the wedding, so she went to Artful Engagements to look for the wayward planner.

Daphne and her Basset hound Socrates look around the home and office but don't find Abigail or her cat. The backyard is a complete mess, not having been cleaned up since the thunderstorm interrupted last night's dinner. Ms. Peebles is mewing on a cherub in the fountain, which led Daphne to find Abigail, dead, under a flag in the lowest tier of the fountain.

Roger quickly becomes the prime suspect because of comments he made to and about Abigail, even though everyone who knows him is certain the professor could not have done the deed. Daphne doesn't want anything to happen to further complicate the bridal couple's future and asks a few questions and starts her own suspect list along with trying to help find a new place for the wedding and preparing for July 4th events in this pet-friendly town. And what could be the last straw - her boyfriend, Nathaniel, who was on loan to the Navy in California, has been offered a very good job for the former SEAL by NCIS...if he moves to San Diego.

I loved reading this challenging mystery in the very appealing town of Sylvan Creek! The characters and critters are authentic, defined well through actions and conversations. Daphne takes a few risks along the way, one which leads her to find yet another murdered woman. She meets Roger's sister and her pet pig, as well as his uncle and calico cat. Both are a tad eccentric, yet I rate his sister Dorinda high on my list of likable folks that includes Daphne, bestie Moxie, Piper, and chef Daisy. I wasn't able to solve either murder, so I was surprised more than once in the final chapters. I highly recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys well-written cozy mysteries with likable people, dogs, cats, and a bit of romance.

From a thankful heart: I received an ARC of this mystery; a positive review was not required.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed, Something Mewed.

September 5, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
September 5, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
March 21, 2019 – Shelved